How to Beatmatch Live with a vinly or a CD player

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Jakaleur

How to Beatmatch Live with a vinly or a CD player

Post by Jakaleur » Thu May 18, 2006 9:22 pm

I'm using Live 5 with Allen&Heath Xone 3D for DJing. I still also wants to use Vinly on my set too. Do anyone know how to beatmatch Live to a perfect tempo with a turntable.I know you can use tab to change the beat but that doesn't work very well.the beat is still slightly diffrent.is there any tip to pitch up or slowdown the song when its playing to match a perfect beat?

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri May 19, 2006 4:35 pm

I feel ya....
I feel like such an idiot having to ask the DJ before me to "just let the record spin out" or "just fade it out" becuase I can't beatmatch to CDs :oops:

samz|sight

Post by samz|sight » Fri May 19, 2006 7:07 pm

I dont think so. if you are using a combo of vinyl/live just lead off the night with a tune in live then you can go to vinyl from there and back into live. if something starts falling out of sync just adjust the pitch on the table and let live run.

OR

If you are stepping up and you dont want to just stop the tunes, use your key or midi control mapper. set your tap tempo to be your, lets say, space key or a key on your midi controller. tap that to the tempo of the vinyl that is playing start bringing in your track and if it falls out of sync adjust the table and not live.

dont forget to warp your tracks ahead of time. warp once properly and they are set for good.

hope that gives you some ideas.

djmajik

Post by djmajik » Sat May 20, 2006 7:27 am

i set a slider on my midi controller to the main tempo adjust and beatmatch it just as if it were a cd player. works great.
Majik
(Friction_LA, Transit_OC)
http://www.bridgeport-music.com

random1

Post by random1 » Thu May 25, 2006 4:22 am

I had been wondering about the same thing for a while.
I don't have a mini controller yet, but this will be the first thing I'll try when I do.
How tight are the movements between bpm's?
If I was in the mix with a record with a string section and I didn't want to slow or speed up the record, is the controller not to over-sensitive that it jumps ahead or slows down to quickly?

stealth1

Post by stealth1 » Sat May 27, 2006 11:06 am

You can adjust the BPM range in the arrangement window. So if you want emulation like a 1210, set the range to, for example, 120-136. That way if your tracks are around the 128 BPM mark, you effectively have +8/-8 range.

AdamJ posted a thread which explained how to get a linear fader on a controller to be inverted using midi yoke, which meant it would act more like a 1210 pitch slider, i.e. up slows it down and down speeds it up. Do a search.

peace

ben_blue

Re: How to Beatmatch Live with a vinly or a CD player

Post by ben_blue » Mon May 29, 2006 2:45 am

Jakaleur wrote:I'm using Live 5 with Allen&Heath Xone 3D for DJing.
you REALLY have a 3D? man that thing is made for don this stuff. learn to use its BPM detector. 3D is supposed to have a little switch that nudges the tempo up or down, affecting the clock it is sending to Live.
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

stealth1

Post by stealth1 » Mon May 29, 2006 3:00 am

Yeah mate, if you have a 3D, work that shit out....hell, you dont even need to....it does it for you. fool :lol:

Jakaleur

Post by Jakaleur » Wed May 31, 2006 3:23 am

Thanks for the information. I have to play around with this thing to get use to with it for a while.

jlezard

Post by jlezard » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:57 am

so lucky to the xone 3d !

have you warped your tracks correctly ? then from they say in the demo video on A&H website its a walk in the park

heliumbaboon

Post by heliumbaboon » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:03 pm

You can adjust the pitch on the turntable to until it matches Live, then fade it over. You really only need 1 of the 2 sources to be adjustable if you think about it. For example, if for some reason you wanted to mix a turntable with an ipod, just ride the turntable's pitch for the whole set.