Integrated step sequenser

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
lola

Integrated step sequenser

Post by lola » Thu May 11, 2006 1:26 pm

I would like to see a stepsequenser with accents function as in x0x step programming, in ableton 6.

Thats all folks

M. Bréqs

Re: Integrated step sequenser

Post by M. Bréqs » Sat May 13, 2006 5:15 am

lola wrote:I would like to see a stepsequenser with accents function as in x0x step programming, in ableton 6.

Thats all folks
I'm down with that.

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Sat May 13, 2006 5:28 am

I agree

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Sat May 13, 2006 1:36 pm

Ditto

Abes take a look at sonar, that's how you do a step sequencer, the one in sonar just flat out rocks.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat May 13, 2006 5:29 pm

well, i just spent a bunch of time looking for my old thread "moog series III style sequencer" but i'll just recreate the idea here.

Yeah, it would be great if live had a step sequencer plug. But it would be REALLY great if they went beyond a regular x0x style step sequencer and made one more like what you see on modular synths.

Specifically the thing i like about those step sequencers is the ability to change the length of each step to create odd swinging sequences. Obviously, i'd like it to be able to do regular synced step sequencing too, but that can be easily acheived anyway. (see machinate's brilliant step sequencer .als for instance)

theres all sorts of other great things about these types of sequencers too. Here, have a look at one:

http://www.synthesizers.com/q960.html

of course the ableton one could have more rows, built in quantize (for all valuse, not just time) and i dunno, whatever else we/they come up with.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Sat May 13, 2006 7:02 pm

What Live should get is a step sequencing mode.

Step sequencing should just be another recording mode, you select your note lenght and start playing the notes/chords on your keyboard and they get entered in the pianoroll until you stop playing.

There are allready tons of vst that emulates the oldschool monophonic step sequencers, even free ones, but they don't increase your productivity, step recording mode allows you to enter sequences way faster and would be more valuable to have in Live 6 than just another on/of step sequencer imo, all the other sequencer programs have step mode and it's time that Live gets it, most other DAWs had that like 20 years ago.

I can upload a few pics from the one in sonar to show what I mean if anyones interested or don't know what it can do, it is sweet, and once you learn to use the pattern feature watch out, you'l be making arp sequences, straccato/trance chord patterns and things like drum patterns with blinding speed, to have something like that as a new recording mode in Live would be awesome, it's all I use Sonar for since Live covers the rest and I can't realy stand timeline recording only programs anymore.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat May 13, 2006 8:19 pm

oh, i'm familiar with step record mode.

I used to make all sorts of rushes and flutters with that back in the days of motu performer, (yeah man, not digital performer, just performer.) Not a bad thing to add, but not really at the top of my list. I find it just as easy to do that sort of stuff by clicking on the piano roll.

I actually don't know of ANY vst that emulates the timing change capability of a modular synth style sequencer. Please prove me wrong so i can buy it.

Actually, that might not be true, i think you can do stuff like that with numerology and probably reactor, but i'd really like something *simple* that does it.

here is an example of a sequence i made with the moog sequencer to show you what i'm talking about:

http://leisuremuffin.com/music/submarinemoogseq.mp3

feel me now?

.lm.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Sat May 13, 2006 8:53 pm

Hehe, my first sequencer (software based anyway) was Dr.T then I moved on to opcodes Studio Vision, good times :)

lola

Post by lola » Wed May 17, 2006 1:57 pm

@ leisuremuffin

The suupahdoopah thing about a xox type seq, is that it is so simple, i like to see simplicity.

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Wed May 17, 2006 2:38 pm

Isnt the session view the most sophisticated sequencer of all???
you can draw any envelope you want
you can create as many "patterns" as you want...

what would be the benefit of a step sequencer?

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed May 17, 2006 3:16 pm

I fully concur, an ableton midi instrument step seq. is in order. I use FL Studio, and dig using it's step seq. to make beats, it would definitely be a useful thing to have right inside of live.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

lola

Post by lola » Sat May 20, 2006 4:23 pm

Step seq also could be integrated within impulse.
I am no photoshop guru, but u get the idea.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat May 20, 2006 4:42 pm

lola wrote:@ leisuremuffin

The suupahdoopah thing about a xox type seq, is that it is so simple, i like to see simplicity.

yeah man, and i get you there.

no reason we can't have both of our ideas. I like to use xox style seqs too. Part of why i use µ-tonic so much. (sometimes i even use the midi out from the xox style seq on it.)

but i also think that if ableton does make an integrated step sequencer, it should (and will) be more than just an average step sequencer. Look at how they did the arp plug in.

.lm.

lola

Post by lola » Sat May 20, 2006 7:20 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
lola wrote:@ leisuremuffin

yeah man, and i get you there.

no reason we can't have both of our ideas. I like to use xox style seqs too.
.lm.
Yea lets have both :D
Abe's u gotta work this out! :wink:

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Mon May 22, 2006 12:29 am

Bumpity bump, step sequencing and a pattern sequencer would surely be a nice a nice thing to have.

Pwetty please with sugar on top! :lol: