Morphing operator presets with automation. Could this work?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
LOFA

Morphing operator presets with automation. Could this work?

Post by LOFA » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:12 am

I have an idea.

would it be able to have a track that was 100 clips long, with each clip having a ghost clip with the information for an operator (or other) preset assigned to it in through auto mation?

Could I then assign each one of these ghost clips to say, a fader fox with a hundred buttons on it, and then send the midi in through another track?

This could theoretically enable me to more or less "automap" with any generic controller, to whatever specifications I desired!

Well, am I smoking something?

By having them all in one track, my controls would always be assigned where I want them, and as long as I was running with automatic faders or endless encoders there would be no jumping.

Now if this was possible, I understand that it would take a hundred years to "program" (cut and paste), but in the long run, if this could work, running one or two tracks of operator, with equalizers, reverbs and limiters (etc) premapped in the device chains on each, some seriously cpu efficient, DIY automapping could take place, and rather than having hordes of unused devices, sitting there eating ram, efficient, happy music could be made.

Could this work? If not I will delete this post. If so, well, teacher can I get an A?

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:27 pm

Yeah, The only thing stopping this from working completely is the fact that not everything I would want is offered in the automation options. Though I could assign one knob to algorithm select, there are still so many others that don't seem to be there.

Perhaps there are some 3rd party plugins that are actually better, because they by default list every parameter. Any thoughts? Perhaps zebra 2?

I think if I get some free time I will explore this. as a workaround I think it could very well work for my purposes.

I've got some ideas for simpler variations as well.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:57 pm

This would ideally work with plugins that have their own midi map. Those usually let you map everything.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:48 pm

First off, this idea really is just an extention of so many of your ideas.
I am not sure that I understand what you mean by plugins that have their own midi-map though. I am naive. I thought that some of the au ones would be good because typically they are so generic and their parameters just seem to show up. I am not sure what you mean. :?

It really is a pity that this won't work well with operator. It's almost ironic, and I am bored with irony. :x.

I was hoping that I could save a whole bunch of liveclip-simplers (for this project I am working on) and just automap them with my sl25, but it is sort of clunky for me to try to work with more than one instrument at a time, with the way that the technology is currently laid-out. Perhaps my time with it will prove otherwise.

In the interim, I have a pretty good idea for how I will work-around with simpler in a similiar fashion (though I do consider myself fortunate to be able to run one instance reliably on the sl 25, it will be nice running a wider octave range on my consistant microkontrol), and I will explore this whether or not I want to go mini-moog, zebra2, imposcar, whatever, once this performance is squared off.

I forget, what is the name of the synth that you advocate so much, and helped design sounds for? Does this have a midimap?

Thanks!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:21 pm

Automat and ABL Pro

www.alphakanal.de
www.audiorealism.se

ABL Pro has midi maps. (ie. hardwired like a hardware synth...)

Automat saves MIDI "learned" parameters in the presets (if my memory serves me right)

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:27 pm

Also, Max/msp and Reaktor would let you do this... of course ;-)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:24 am

Machinate wrote:Also, Max/msp and Reaktor would let you do this... of course ;-)
Could you elaborate man? Reakor is sort of out of the picture until after at least the merom laptops come out, but I would be intersted in, well, :? :oops: what you mean,
and second, well, my brain is full. This is finals week. I need to go to sleep but I will ressurect this thread!

The two of you are both sick. This workaround is gonna work some marvels for me (until I have the time to seek alternate approaches in max/msp) and it is completely made possible by utilizing some of your posted tricks and tutorials. I was up all night last night thinking about this stuff. Got to go to sleep now.

I can't wait to see where max is gonna take us all! :)

Lord Kahn

Post by Lord Kahn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:12 pm

The normal way to do this is to use the program change parameter. Many VSTs understand it. Unfortunately none of the Ableton instruments seem to.

psilosly

Post by psilosly » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:12 pm

You can do this very sweetly and easily with Korg's Legacy Cell or any other VST that supports Program Change MIDI messages. Just use the program/bank selection feature on MIDI clips.

P.S.
Operator, Simpler and Impulse should really really really be updated to support Program Change messages. If they could support a bank or 10 or 20 presets that were all selectable via program changes, it would be so very nice.

psilosly

Post by psilosly » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:15 pm

Lord Kahn wrote:The normal way to do this is to use the program change parameter. Many VSTs understand it. Unfortunately none of the Ableton instruments seem to.
Haha, I guess I shoulda read your message first.