Meat Beat Manifesto Remix Contest

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:59 pm

To celebrate their new tour, Meat Beat Manifesto and Thirsty Ear Recordings have released the remixable stems from the track "Wild," as heard on the album At the Center. MBM's team have split up the files in Session View and included a lesson file.

To read the artist interview and download the files, click here

Note: This file will only work in Live 5.

To enter the contest, please send an MP3 of no more than 10 MBs to mbmremix@thirstyear.com with your full name included. One entry per contestant, and please send your entries in no later than April 15, 2006.

Please direct your questions about the contest to this forum sticky on Ableton's website. For questions on judging and on the lesson file, please email mbmremix@thirstyear.com. Thirsty Ear Recordings will be judging the entries.

The contest winner's entry will be posted as a digital release on Thirsty Ear Recordings' site. In addition, the winner will receive a selection of CDs, T-shirts, and calendars from Thirsty Ear Recordings, as well as an Ableton hooded sweatshirt and laptop bag.[/b][/url]

Update 6/7/06
It was a tough competition, but Thirsty Ear Recordings, Jack Dangers and Ableton would like to extend their congratulations to Lars Korb (aka the Bugbreeder) with his "Loose Interpretation." His winning entry will be posted as a digital release on Thirsty Ear Recordings' site (link to be posted soon...). In addition, Lars will receive a selection of CDs, T-shirts, and calendars from Thirsty Ear Recordings, as well as an Ableton hooded sweatshirt and laptop bag. Stay tuned to Thirstyear.com for the tune and more information.

Honorable mention goes to the runners up:

2nd Place: David Martindale
3rd Place: Beau Tardy with "Jazzy Burn's Wild"

Thanks to everyone who participated, and stay tuned for more remix contests coming soon!
The Abletons.
Last edited by Jesse on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:53 pm

g'day jesse,

sorry you weren't at camp ableton and didnt get to meet ya, but thanks for these remixes... am downloading the MBM one now.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:30 am

wow i'v been a fan of MBM for a long long long time

never listend to much recent stuff however..but COOL!
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:40 am

Nice!!

i can't wait to dig in.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:07 am

MBM...I am so having a go at this one!
Saw them live again recently and his/their albums just keep bringing the quality. Anyone else got the 5.1 ver. of In Dub? Wow...

continuous

Post by continuous » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:37 am

This is so dammin cool!

I love these remixes...it is so neet to get in there and check out how a bad ass track is put together etc. Also to get turned on to new stuff. I really dig everything about this piece...very very inspiring. Now I want to see some of the visuals they were talking about in the interview.

cheers abes!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:37 am

Oh god yeah! I've had "Dogstar Man/Helter Skelter" in my head for about about 15 years now!

My favorite company is keeping it real. Life is good.

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:48 am

Are you guys working on this remix with the the beta version which has fixed the "ONE" bug. I noticed the MBM's notes mentioned how to work around it and also they setup the scene loops that ways aswell.

Which Version should I use. The Beta has crashed alittle too often I think I'll do it with Live 5.0.3

Any thoughts?

Later
dustin

bitesize

Post by bitesize » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:40 pm

my favourite band! i'm so having a go at remixing this puppy! many thanks mbm + ableton for this...

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:28 pm

Hi all,
FYI, the 'one' discussion in the MBM lesson has nothing to do with the session view clip firing fixed in the new beta. It's more to do with Jack's particular emphasis on different feels and interpreting grooves differently, i.e. what you might hear as the '3' of a 4 beat phrase, he interprets as the 1.
Best,
Jesse

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:44 pm

Hey Jesse,
how would the MBM people react to me sending them a mail with the URL of the file in. I don't mean some crappy ad-banner filesharing URL , I mean a download location on my site. Is that an option?

I don't like sending huge files via mail protocols, it's unreliable and just clogs up an interface that was designed for text (smtp, pop)

forge

Post by forge » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:14 am

hey

finally just got to listen and cant wait to have a stab

But one thing I'm slightly disappointed in is I guess MBM dont write it with Live?

Or at least the sound sources were all external - Otherwise, couldnt we have an ALS that actually shows how it was created instead of just the rendered samples??

I totally understand that you'd want to keep it small and cpu light to be more accessible to all, but it would be nice to have an extra one to see what they did, tricks they use etc

this could have been created with live 1 and really doesnt demonstrate live's capabilities or give us any nice little peek into the world of MBM's production!

Missed opportunity!

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:28 am

I know what you mean since he states they use LIve Intensly on stage, but he also states he doesnt use Softsynths he rather use outboard gear; duNNo.

Later
Dustin

forge

Post by forge » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:00 am

dbolt wrote:I know what you mean since he states they use LIve Intensly on stage, but he also states he doesnt use Softsynths he rather use outboard gear; duNNo.

Later
Dustin
actually, in truth I havent read the interview yet :oops:

but still, it would be interesting to at least see the ALS it works from - maybe even like the old leftfield technique of moving all the midi channels up one, but instead get their midi clips and route them to your own synths!

now that would be cool!

Either way, I'd love to see any of these remixes or feature ALS files we get from time to time if the artist was restricted to only use live to produce it

I'd be very surprised if any of these highly influential producers like NIN, COldcut, MBM and others who've had ALS files available for d/l could not create something totally on par with their own catalog using only Live and it's FX/Instruments + Operator, and I'm sure everyone would be dead keen to see it

kilerrbeee

Cant open the ALS File

Post by kilerrbeee » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:46 pm

When I try to open the lesson I get a pop up window saing the file can not be opened becasue it was created with a newer version of Live and is incompatible....

I am using Live 4.1.4

Please Help

KB