IMPULSE IMPROVEMENT SUGGEST

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
alvaro

IMPULSE IMPROVEMENT SUGGEST

Post by alvaro » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Hi abletons, excuse my awful english:

I would like suggest a simple improvement in order to build more realystic drum tracks in Ableton without any plugin, only with impulse, wich i like very much, but with large kits (more than 8 elements) i can't find an easy way to work with it.

Why not to include the possibility of device group with impulse? I mean: two or more impluses, workin in paralell, in the same track, working as one impulse of: 16 slots, 24 slots, etc.

When you have built your composite kit, you can save it (with self content samples) as a impulse group preset.

This improvement would make me very happy. And i wouldn't need any drums plugin anymore....

Hope you consider this humble suggest.

regards,

Alvaro G.

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:59 pm

The issue I'd have with so many slots for 1 channel is effects routing. Do you really want all 24 sounds to have the same effects? In your example, I think I'd want all my toms to sound a bit different. My Roland drum pad only has 8 pads anyway. I think I'd rather see a few other improvements first.

alvaro

... and one more i forgot

Post by alvaro » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:05 pm

Also, i thought that the following very simple issue would be nice to see on future versions of Live:

Just to give the musician user the capability of (re)naming as he/she wants the piano roll keys (just like impulse indeed does with the slot samples taht it hosts).

I think it would be a very useful guide when you use different and large drum kit samples or rewire devices, for example. I use to get lost in my HW keyboard when change betwen virtual samplers.

regards,

Alvaro g.

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:15 pm

Hi tylast, i've just read your post.

I understand you, but all i want is to write all MIDI drum track stuff in the same MIDI clip. Doing it on separate tracks make me very unconfortable. I mean, write cymbals MIDI on track 1, MIDI toms on track 2, kick and snare MID on track 3, etc. is a pain for me because i need to see it all at the same time in order to not getting lost.

I must say im a begginer and maybe there is one way to do it in the same track and i have found yet.

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:18 pm

Yeah, if you're playing Impulse from a keyboard...I could understand why you'd want more slots. Like the idea of renaming they keys. :wink:

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:26 pm

tylast wrote:The issue I'd have with so many slots for 1 channel is effects routing. Do you really want all 24 sounds to have the same effects? In your example, I think I'd want all my toms to sound a bit different.
You can just add audio tracks and select 'audio from' from your impulse track, then you can process each drum individually.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:09 am

alvaro wrote:Hi tylast, i've just read your post.

I understand you, but all i want is to write all MIDI drum track stuff in the same MIDI clip. Doing it on separate tracks make me very unconfortable. I mean, write cymbals MIDI on track 1, MIDI toms on track 2, kick and snare MID on track 3, etc. is a pain for me because i need to see it all at the same time in order to not getting lost.

I must say im a begginer and maybe there is one way to do it in the same track and i have found yet.
it is definitely possible to trigger multiple impulse samplers from one midi track - I've composed a few ways of doing it. That tip and many more in the
Little List of Tips and Tricks:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27120

(tip number three)

However, I like the notion of loading several live instruments on one track - I can imagine plenty of uses for it, for instance, you could have a velocity plugin, simpler, velocity plugin, simpler, and do crude velocity layering that way - that'd be nice as well.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:21 am

Thanks for the link Machinate, im going to read it just now

Alvaro G.