ATTENTION ALL USERS please post working & broken systems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

ATTENTION ALL USERS please post working & broken systems

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:02 am

There's been some real anger and frustration on the forum lately between Live users with and without problems.

You are a Live user. Either you are happy with your setup's performance, or you are not. I have created two new threads and I am asking you to please post in one of them:

One "Post your WORKING system here!" is in the Tips & Tricks section:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32796
If you are happy with your system, please share as much information as you can about it. Please read the instructions at the beginning of that thread.

The other one "Post your BROKEN system here!"
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32795
If you are not getting good performance, please share it too.
Read the instructions in the thread about what details to provide.

This is not magically going to make all the problems go away, there are many possible combinations of hard & software and that is of course largely the problem. Troubleshooting can be a long and painful process.

But I am convinced that if we all post our setups we can get some problems solved. The discussions are much too vague now, systems are either great or crap. We need to get lists of what works and what doesn't so we can compare and try to find solutions.

Please help by posting in one of the threads.
Thank you!
:D

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:04 pm

bump

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Seeing this is now the 4th stupid pointless setup specs thread I figure I
may as well paste what I posted on the 3rd copy of this thread.

This is 100% pointless.

If you're having a bug....

Post the steps to reproduce it and your system in the bugs forum.

There is no way to gain any information from this kind of thread, unless it's
related to a specific problem/bug with detailed steps on how to reproduce.
Only then is system information any use to the coders.

-Ben

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:41 pm

I personally would be very interested to read about other people's sytems working or not.

People say their system works great or they have problems but that's too general. It has to be detailed. Driver versions, firmware versions everything!
For me writing things down always makes it clearer for me to see how something is put together, working or not.

If you don't agree that's cool.

drush

Post by drush » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:19 pm

this is becoming list spam.

synchro are you planning on going into the ableton system tuning business or something? why are the details of everyone else's systems so way-too-many-threads important?

if you're having a problem with your setup, contact ableton and work it out.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:50 pm

No man, my system runs really good. I was getting frustrated by people shouting at each other I'm trying to do something positive.

Nixon posted in the broken system thread saying he's got dropouts, somebody replied saying he's got the same system (except the bcf2000) but more RAM and no problems.

So now Nixon can try to disconnecting the BCF, (that probably won't make any difference) & try putting in more RAM.
That's what I was after, that people list everything they got on their system and maybe someone else knows a solution.

My brother is an IT guy and advised me to build a Pentium system, but in the Live performance test the AMDs came out on top so I went AMD for the first time and it's working brilliant.

Information = power!

But if you don't think it's a good idea don't post.
Last edited by djsynchro on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:01 am

Excellent idea man.

I have an earlier generation dual 2g G5. I run either an fw1884, an fw1814, or a combination of the two as an agregate device. That being said, I am on tiger, 10.4.4.
I forget what I posted on the adamjay tests but I remmembr it was slose to the threeshold of crackles and pops, which for me is anywhere above 50%.

I get crackels, missing commands (lose the ability to cut and paste until I resize the screen X numbers of times-the drop is seemingly random as well,) when I trigger clips I get pops and clicks, slow gui, especially in rewire (I know- different animal,) whenever I use the browser I get a long delay and every aspect of performance is sluggish, choppy, and wretched, and finally- I get pops and clicks all of the time when recording live instruments with any of my devices, and sometimes when I use either the garageband piano (via logic, via soundflower) or the osx au piano as well (directly inserted in live) I get really bad cllicks and pops.

I would write more, but I got to go!

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:09 am

When you've time please post it in the "broken system" thread.
More details!
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32795
Cheers,