Next beta arrived! Live 5.0.3b6!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Alex

Next beta arrived! Live 5.0.3b6!

Post by Alex » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:03 pm

Hi folks,

we just uploaded another beta version of the upcoming bug fix update Live 5.0.3.
With this beta we come closer to the final version as we would like to
release Live 5.0.3 still before Christmas.

This beta is free for every Live 5 user.

Please use the following links to download the beta:

Mac: http://www.ableton.com/_common/download ... e503b6.dmg
Win: http://www.ableton.com/_common/download ... e503b6.zip

Please send all beta related feedback to beta@ableton.com.

Current version: Live 5.0.3b6
Expire date: 2005-12-21

This versions has also some limitations:
- No manual is included
- No content is included

This version has enabled our bug reporter.
You will notice it when restarting Live after experiencing a crash.

Furthermore the Windows version has additional debug code to dump
information into the log file. Therefore the Windows version is a bit
slower as the final version (something between 5% to 15%).

When starting live 5.0.3b6 for the first time it should open with the Beta
lesson which also contains the change log.

Kind Regards,
Alex

Change log Live Live 5.0.3b5 - 5.0.3b6

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[01] Bug: MIDI record during song stop
Platform: All

When arming a MIDI track containing a fired clip in overdub mode while the song is not running MIDI notes would be recorded in this clip.
This bug was already in since Live 4 but based on the improved MIDI timing of the previous beta it was more worse now.

[02] Bug: Delete selection in text field

When select a part of a text field (clip name, track name, ...) and press the delete key also the first char behind the selection would be deleted too.
This bug existed at least since Live 3 :)

[03] Bug: Soloing a MIDI track

When solo a MIDI track it would send an AllNotesOff message when routed to an external MIDI output or into another MIDI track.

[04] Bug: Move tracks with solo active

Moving or copying a track with solo on would switch off solo.
This bug exists at least since Live 2 :)

Annoucement of Live 5.0.3b5:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30728

Annoucement of Live 5.0.3b4:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30574
Last edited by Alex on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amo

Re: Next beta arrived! Live 5.0.3b6!

Post by amo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:15 pm

Alex wrote:

hehe, some dude has to find it some day... you can't hide those for ever ! :wink:
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

conny

Post by conny » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:24 pm

Alex wrote: This version has enabled our bug reporter.
You will notice it when restarting Live after experiencing a crash.
Yeah, he's in my closet most of the time but I notice him after some obscure handling of the program. He's kind of sweeping the place with a towel and wrapping that in an Ableton envelope. He deserves beer but does not make so much fuzz...

Alex et al: Good job!

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:36 pm

[02] Bug: Delete selection in text field

When select a part of a text field (clip name, track name, ...) and press the delete key also the first char behind the selection would be deleted too.
This bug existed at least since Live 3 Smile

Woo hoo, this has ben "bugging" me forever now!

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:14 pm

i just emailed the bug reports to ableton, but i figured i would post in case anybody else had the same problem.

when i try to launch a particular live set (that i only started working on this afternoon), it crashes live. if live is not running, it will crash when the splash screen gets to the 'initializing live set' step. happens on 5.02, 5.03b5 & 5.03b6

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:20 pm

Hi capta1nA,

i just emailed back to you. It is somehow related to a certain AU plug-in used in this set. Firstly we have to find out which one (see my mail).

regards,
/Alex

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:46 pm

i think i've pinpointed the track that has the issue. when viewing the .als in the file browser, the second MIDI track from the top crashes Live when dragging it into a new set. I believe the plugin on that track may have been daHornet.

dpel

Post by dpel » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:00 am

amo wrote:
Alex wrote:

hehe, some dude has to find it some day... you can't hide those for ever ! :wink:
i like live so much bettter with the bug. :lol:
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

Obineg

Post by Obineg » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:02 am

Alex wrote: [04] Bug: Move tracks with solo active

Maybe I´m being unrealistic , but I usually get rather dissapointed when I see the Changelog , I´m eagerly waiting something along the lines of

" a bug that would cause cpu spikes seemingly at random during moderate cpu consumption , status : fixed "

or

" the reason for the serious bug introduced in live 5 causing stutter and cpu spikes has been found, our team is working on this "

at least some acknowledgement that there is a serious bug in the code introduced in Live 5 . . .
Last edited by Obineg on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:25 am

Hi Obineg,
" a bug that would cause cpu spikes seemingly at random during moderate cpu consumption , status : fixed "
" the reason for the serious bug introduced in live 5 causing stutter and cpu spikes has been found, our team is working on this "
the current Live 5 beta already contains bugfixes and improvements that can be improve / fix the issues of your both quotes.

So if you have already tried the beta and have problems with it please let it us know.

regards,
/Alex

supster

Post by supster » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:38 am

Obineg wrote: Maybe I´m being unrealistic , but I usually get rather dissapointed when I see the Changelog , I´m eagerly waiting something along the lines of

or

or

"long wait times and random lockups of 10 sec / 1 min or more when copying, duplicating, and re-arranging audio and midi clips on the arrange grid at low resource usage:

:)

i will fly to berlin and kiss somebody

... ok look, never mind .. bad idea dont let that stop you ...

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

giorgio

Post by giorgio » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:09 am

"long wait times and random lockups of 10 sec / 1 min or more when copying, duplicating, and re-arranging audio and midi clips on the arrange grid at low resource usage:

does this really happen to you? i have never experienced anything like that, and I have worked with 3-10 minute files in an 80 minute arrangment (dj sets) and not had any problems. sounds like maybe you have RAM/disk issues?

me: live5, ibook G4 1.33 ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

supster

Post by supster » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:45 am

giorgio wrote:

does this really happen to you? i have never experienced anything like that, and I have worked with 3-10 minute files in an 80 minute arrangment (dj sets) and not had any problems. sounds like maybe you have RAM/disk issues?

me: live5, ibook G4 1.33 ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

its related to MIDI/VST usage, all audio tends to run well.

its been convered in here extensively
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Aton

Post by Aton » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:29 am

I just built a brand new computer pentium 3.6ghz 2gb ram fastest everything and new layla3g card, etc. just in high hopes that it would fix my problem with crackles and pops at lower than 1024 audio buffer. I use mostly midi with reason and operator. I'm dissapointed because I get the exact same performance with Live 5 on the new puter as I did on my old computer. And my New computer is FAST!!! Is there an Angel listening???? I just spent $2000 to try and fix the performance problem with LIVE only to find out that LIVE has really poor performance. I'm not trying to talk bad about LIVE. Live has open new doors for me in music creation but I'm sorry version 5 has its problems.

I'm crossing my fingers that the next beta is a homerun!

Obineg

Cpu spikes

Post by Obineg » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:31 am

Alex wrote:So if you have already tried the beta and have problems with it please let it us know.
Still happens in B6

As far as I can see this is a very real issue and has more to do with code than the specifics of ones setup , these spikes seem to happen at quite random times during daily use , I've had this when launching audio clips , when changing presets , when doing nothing , when changing a waveform in operator , when using the browser etc . . . There seems to be no definate way to "reproduce" this specific bug , There seems to little connection between the intensity of the task and the frequency of the spikes (happens while 2 audio files playing / happens with a full midi score)

I've trashed preferences , disabled all vst / au's , used all combinations of latency settings etc . . .

I somehow can't imagine this hasn't been noticed in ableton hq , it's exactly the same on my laptop and my desktop and on every second computer running live 5 it seems.

I'm becoming quite adept at making silly faces for the audience while live is choking on stage playing something that live 4 would handle easily.

I've been pretty much a feature whore until now , because I always took live's stability for granted , and I can't imagine using another host any day soon. But , this has to be fixed asap.

Imac g5 2ghz 1gb ram , Powerbook g4 876mhz 640mb ram / osX10.4.3 / Live 5.3b6