Another beta is available: Live 5.0.3b5!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Alex

Another beta is available: Live 5.0.3b5!

Post by Alex » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:30 pm

Hi folks,

we just uploaded another beta version of the upcoming bug fix update Live 5.0.3.
This beta is free for every Live 5 user.

Please use the following links to download the beta:

Mac: http://www.ableton.com/_common/download ... e503b5.dmg
Win: http://www.ableton.com/_common/download ... e503b5.zip

Please send all beta related feedback to beta@ableton.com.

Current version: Live 5.0.3b5
Expire date: 2005-12-15

This versions has also some limitations:
- No manual is included
- No content is included

This version has enabled our bug reporter.
You will notice it when restarting Live after experiencing a crash.

Furthermore the Windows version has additional debug code to dump
information into the log file. Therefore the Windows version is a bit
slower as the final version (something between 5% to 15%).

When starting live 5.0.3b5 for the first time it should open with the Beta
lesson which also contains the change log.

Kind Regards,
Alex

Change log Live Live 5.0.3b4 - 5.0.3b5

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[01] Bug: MIDI recording with "Off" monitoring
Platform: All

When recording MIDI in a track with monitoring set to "Off" the final MIDI clip would be compensated also by the Audio input latency.

[02] Bug: Recording with "In" or "Auto" monitoring
Platform: All

When recording MIDI or Audio in a track with monitoring set to "In" or "Auto" in a Live Set with PDC enabled and containing at least one effect device or instrument with own processing delay (so a plug-in) the resulting recorded clip will be delayed by the amount of these processing delays.

Annoucement of Live 5.0.3b4:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30574
Last edited by Alex on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poshook

Post by poshook » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:49 pm

Sampletank 2 issue not corrected in 5.0.3 :cry: :cry: :cry:

description:

Midi track with Sampletank2 stop responding and it is not possible to revive it with other VSTi (until restarting Live). After this bug Live5 usualy show bug report and crash imediately.

I sent description of this bug several times to your support without answer.

I am sad because I must using Live 4 instead of my Live 5 (it is more than 4 months). Live 4 has no problem with ST2... :cry: :cry: :cry:

no_barcode

Post by no_barcode » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:05 pm

poshook wrote:Sampletank 2 issue not corrected in 5.0.3 :cry: :cry: :cry:

description:

Midi track with Sampletank2 stop responding and it is not possible to revive it with other VSTi (until restarting Live). After this bug Live5 usualy show bug report and crash imediately.

I sent description of this bug several times to your support without answer.

I am sad because I must using Live 4 instead of my Live 5 (it is more than 4 months). Live 4 has no problem with ST2... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Looks to me like they're focusing on MIDI timing-related issues for 5.0.3b5, as Alex did not list any other fixes.
M1 Max 64GB RAM 4TB SSD; Volt 1; Push 3 Standalone

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:32 pm

Is it ok to work on my real songs and important stuff, saving them with these betas?

No compatibility issues opening songs saved with the beta in 5.02 or final 5.0.3 when it's released, right?

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:07 pm

Is it ok to work on my real songs and important stuff, saving them with these betas?
Well, in general yes but as it is still a beta I really recommend to make copies of your existing stuff.
No compatibility issues opening songs saved with the beta in 5.02 or final 5.0.3 when it's released, right?
Not until now and very probably it will be so but also there is not (yet) a guarantee.

regards,
Alex

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 pm

I'm trying to test the midi latency issues and I'm finding that it appears there are no existing problems anymore. what I did was record on 2 tracks at the same time, 1 track with monitor in armed the other track with monitor off armed and they are perfectly in time with each other (so the monitoring state appears to not be affecting latency) so I'm wondering if this is a good test for the latency bug that so many people have experienced. anyone else care to test the midi this way or is this a non helpful way to test it?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:25 pm

I spoke too soon, their are extremely small differences between the 2 tracks in my test. though it is very small. only a few ms...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:31 pm

Johnisfaster,
their are extremely small differences between the 2 tracks in my test. though it is very small. only a few ms...
When monitoring is set to "Off" the MIDI data are compensated by the Audio Out Latency + Compensation latency (from the Audio preferences).
When choosing a higher Audio buffer size temporarily you should see the difference easier.

I tried to explain this behavior in several posting of: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30629

I also would recommend to continue the discussion about these things in the above thread.

regards,
/Alex

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:36 pm

Yes there is an extremely small timing shift between monitor IN and monitor OFF clips that are recorded simultaneously in this beta. But it is much much less difference than it was in 5.0.2 (check it out). The OFF monitor track is alway shifted earlier.

To my ears so far, the clips recorded with monitor IN sound just like I played it. The clips recorded with monitor OFF sound just a tiny bit little earlier than I played them...(which this monitor OFF behavior was exactly the same in 5.0.2).

Even though monitor OFF clips are (technically) still a little earlier than they should be, they are still quite usable, IMO.

I am curious the technical reason for this but maybe I should keep my mouth shut while we're on the right track. :wink:
Last edited by icedsushi on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:38 pm

yes I understand you've explained why it happens. but alot of people agree that it shouldn't happen at all and that after recording the midi it should be compensated for any latency that might have happened.

really I'm not complaining much cause it's such a minute latency that I don't really care. but I know alot of people do alot of people are going to be doing the same test I just did.

or maybe I'm wrong about it all, I'm not trying to step on toes.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:50 pm

It is such a small small amount...which you can reduce by lowering your buffer...

While technically not quite as accurate as the IN or AUTO recorded clip I think it's still quite accurate for the midi world.

Yeah, I go in and out of understanding Alex's explanation in that thread why it must be this way...sometimes I feel my head is spinning. But I'm glad Alex is so kind to provide the explanation. Does it have something to do with compensating audio latency from external instruments?

But this seems quite the improvement so far.

blank

Post by blank » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:17 am

feel free to correct the "absynth 3 sticking note in live only and it piss me off totally" bug in 5.03

thx
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:56 am

there was a weird fullscreen bug when i first launched b5, but its fixed itself it seems

supster

Post by supster » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:03 am

blank wrote: the "absynth 3 sticking note in live only and it piss me off totally" bug
:P yeah i have that one too
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:33 am

supster wrote:
blank wrote: the "absynth 3 sticking note in live only and it piss me off totally" bug
:P yeah i have that one too
ahhh, cool, I'm not the only one!