Updated UAD DelayComp crashes Live 2.03

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
atom_b

Updated UAD DelayComp crashes Live 2.03

Post by atom_b » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:44 pm

I updated the UAD-plugins to 3.01 today. ableton Live now doesn't load Sets anymore wich have the earlier UAD DelayComp loaded in one or more tracks:

- Load a set in 2.03 wich includes UAD DelayComp inserted before updating the UAD-plugins
-> First message is about 'Path\to\my\VSTfolder\...\UAD DelayComp could not be loaded' (more messages come up depending on the number of DelayComps used - Note: UAD DelayComp actually is in the path)
-> Second message is the Application-Error-Message, wich recommends to save work under a different name, and to restart the application...
-> Latter message can not be quitted, since it kind of reoccurs in an endless loop
-> Have to kill the process to quit the application (can reproduce this anytime)

Compare with UAD DelayComp not in the path:
-> Same results as above

Compare with newly inserted DelayComp:
- Insert the very same updated UAD DelayComp in some already existing and one new Set
- Close the Sets and reopen
-> Everything runs as usual

Since the DelayComp *does* run when newly inserted, there must be some trouble causing change in the way its presence was registered within Live with UAD-versions prior to 3.01.

This is especially bad, since I can't open these Sets anymore, by no way.

I've been already asking over at UAD-forum if there is any information available regarding the registration of UAD DelayComp with its host, that I can hand over to the devs at ableton.

Regards

BV
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

atom_b

Bump

Post by atom_b » Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:56 pm

I now sort of *fixed* this by
- first completly uninstalling all UAD (removing the dlls from the path won't do),
- then cleaning out every instance of (now empty) UAD DelayComps from my LIVE-Sets (have to insert all the 3.01 ones again now, hmm...)
- and finally reinstalling all UAD 3.01.
-> Works like it should.

Could have been interesting what caused this, we'll propably never know;)
Since no one, neither with ableton nor with Mackies showed some interest, be told: Never mind, I certanly will avoid to reproduce this one again.

For anybody else willing to upgrade his UAD to 3.01: Take care not to have *any* DelayComps from previous UAD versions in your Sets while upgrading.

Have a nice day!
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

Frank Hoffmann

Re: Bump

Post by Frank Hoffmann » Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:15 pm

It is really hard for me to imagine Live caused the problem with the DelayComp. It sounds like the new Version of the DelayComp doesn't understand it's old settings (from previous versions) anymore. I might be wrong with that.

Frank
Frank Hoffmann
hoffmann@ableton.com

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:10 am

Hi Atom,

we got a UAD card because a friendly person from Mackie so I will try to take a look into this problem within the next days.

regards,
Alex

atom_b

Mackie Guru

Post by atom_b » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:41 am

Hi Alex!

Some guru over at the official Mackie forum mentioned, that any old versions of UAD plugins left after an update may cause trouble. What puzzles me about this statement is, that there should not be any registration from older plugins left with the system after updating.

If, by now, it means having to remove all UAD plugins from LIVE sets prior to updating (just to make sure...) this wouldn't make a good solution.

I suspect there must be something LIVE remembers about pugins used in sets, that's not good to remember, as well as on the other hand there's - as with D-Pole and the like - something it doesn't - like settings, wich isn't good eihter ;)

FYI: Meanwhile I could produce a similar effect with the use of TCWorks plugins. Again only completely uninstalling the plugins -> removing (then empty) plugin slots from the Sets -> reinstalling the plugins and reinserting the slots solved the case.

Thanks for your reply.

If I was a rich man, I'd send all you devs on a six weeks vacation, some place tropical near the sea, sure, you'd be allowed to take your equipment with you anyway ;)

Have a great day
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400