Anybody getting Live to "poof" and disappear ?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
BC

Anybody getting Live to "poof" and disappear ?

Post by BC » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:52 am

hi

I noticed tonight that Live 5.02 disappeared on me a couple of times. Just vanished, without an error message (a bit like Cubase can do occasionally).

One situation was this.

I had been messing around with QL Symphony Orchestra Gold.

Deleted it from the Mid Track view.

Then dragged Imposcar over to the same Midi track and *poof*...Live disappeared.

Anyone got similar behaviour ?

BC

If God did exist (and he doesn't), he would answer to the name of Maurizio.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:50 am

Yup, happened with me all the time when I was using Guru.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:56 pm

its happened to me once, cant remember what it was i was doing but it wasnt cpu intensive.

hasnt happened since

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:55 am

me too, once. Never since.
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:09 pm

This just happened to me last night. Not sure what it is. All my plugs are freebies that i have been using for a while now and they work great under other hosts with no problems. They work great in Live as well so it's probably not plug in related. I noticed it happened when i hit the "Start menu" button on my keyboard by accident so i deliberately hit it again when i relaunched Live but nothing happened.

I'm on a Sony Vaio Laptop with XP Home edition SP1 setup as much as possible for audio. There are no other apps besides audio apps and definitely no internet connection.

I just bought Live about a month ago so my drive was reformatted just to get a fresh start.

Weird shite man.

BC

Post by BC » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:59 pm

The apparent random occurence of the "poof" is rather concerning - makes it impossible to rely on the software.

Abelton support said they couldn't reproduce my problem.

I'm going to try and replicate it myself when I get the time...

BC

If God did exist (and he doesn't), he would answer to the name of Maurizio.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:48 pm

This has happened to me, yes, about 3 times with Live 5.x and only once with Live 5.02. I use Live 3-4 days a week for 1-4 hours at a time. It has not happened during live performance. The last time it happened with 5.02, I was adjusting the "minphrs" setting on a plugin called Live Cut, just after stopping the set. I restarted and retried what I had done, but it did not recur, so I think that may have been coincidental. Also, I had been kind of low on disk space at that time, wonder if it's temp file related.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:41 pm

YEP!! had this about three times but i haven't posted anything cos i have no idea whats causing it.... i can remember two times i was tweaking a plugin, and last time it was an ableton EQ3. good to know it ain't just me!!

the last time it happened i was recording some session stuff into arrangement and lost about half an hours work... NOT GOOD!! it came up with restore last set but all the recordings were lost...
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:40 am

had it happen about two minutes ago. i went to drag a clip over to make an alc file "POOF".... live, she gone. got everything back on a restart, but not inspiring stuff.

[edit - 500 th post! YAY....]

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:45 pm

Hi Clearscreen,

it would be helpful if you could give the latest beta Live 5.0.3b4 a try to check if you can still reproduce this crash there too.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30574

thanks and regards,
/Alex

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:17 am

literally just had it happen twice... i wasn't using the beta at the time unfotuately alex so i can't comment there, but both times it happened as i hit control+S whilst playing backa little loop thing i'd made. doesn't appear to happen everytime, but i'll keep trying and see if theres any thing in particular that leads to it happening. i'll switch over to the beta for a bit and see what i can do.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:50 am

i think i just managed to get it to happen again in the beta, but the beta wouldn't restart!! it *almost* locked up the machine, i left it as long as i thought was appropriate, but after no movement for 10 minutes i figured a reboot was in order. started the beta after that and it told me live had crashed 'probably due to a corrupt audio driver' and then started fine with audio disabled.

this time i was inserting an ableton midi pitch plugin...
i'll try a couple more times to get a crash log etc...

parma

Post by parma » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:11 am

Alex,

I have had this "poof" happen several times when changing presets in various plugs (the Imposcar AU being the biggest culprit).

I have just sent you an email describing the actions leading to the crashes and the crash logs.

I'm on OSX 10.3.9

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:12 pm

Hi Clearscreen,
it told me live had crashed 'probably due to a corrupt audio driver' and then started fine with audio disabled.
I would assume the was a follow up of the first crash. Because after the first crash you could not start Live again, very probably because the audio driver was damaged because of the first crash
this time i was inserting an ableton midi pitch plugin...
i'll try a couple more times to get a crash log etc..
Could you already send me the log file of Live? Maybe it already contains some useful information.
"C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Ableton\Live 5.0.3b5\Preferences\Log.txt"
or
"C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Ableton\Live 5.0.3b6\Preferences\Log.txt"

Hi parma,

thanks for your mail. We will look into this.

regards
/Alex

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:17 pm

Alex, i've sent the log file to you, and i'll keep trying to get it to happen in the beta as well.