Ultimate Live Controller? W00T!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andrewlogan

Ultimate Live Controller? W00T!

Post by andrewlogan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:16 am

Check this out, it's kind of like a keyboard, kind of like a wacom tablet.
http://ergodex.com/
You can rearrange the keys anywhere on the tablet and assign them triggers like a keyboard. I think this is may be the ultimate tool for triggering clips in Ableton Live!

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:08 am

Thats insane!

Alot of Gamers use this but does anyone know how it works with DAW's and other Music Software?

Later

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:13 am

I suppose it would work well depending on who you are. although I would like to point out the best feature of all.. the ability to leave out the spacebar all together, which allows you to tap all sorts of keys on there without having to worry about accidently hitting the spacebar and stopping your song. but what I can't figure out is if you can assign like apple c or apple v to single keys on there? it would be nice to have all of your ctrl/apple functions on single keys.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:20 am

I think it's halarious that if you buy the $149 you get 25 keys with it. conveniently leaving out the needed 26th key you need for a full alphabet so you have to pay the extra 50 bucks to get the additional 25 keys. totally awesome marketing.

I don't know... I'm trying to imagine using this thing. does it come with stickers or something for the keys? and apparently it looks like people are printing out pictures to put under the keys right? so could you just print out a paper with labels next to each key you place on there?

I'll keep reading on it, let me know if you find out something I don't.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:36 am

aw sad, just realised it doesn't work for osx...

but what I did find out is you can assign multiple keystrokes to keys. so you can do the whole ctrl c ctrl v thing ORRRR what is even better you could assign multiple letters to a single key so that in live you can have multiple clips trigger without triggering the whole scene.

I WANT ONE FOR OSX THOUGH!!!!!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:40 am

This is the third time I have seen this posted in it's own new thread.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:50 am

I think it's halarious when people get irritated about seeing repeat topics. hehe.

although to call this thing the ultimate is a bit of a stretch. what about lemur? I'm seriously considering selling half my sh** just to get a lemur.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:23 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I think it's halarious when people get irritated about seeing repeat topics. hehe.

although to call this thing the ultimate is a bit of a stretch. what about lemur? I'm seriously considering selling half my sh** just to get a lemur.
One get's sick of seeing the break through option thread title multiple times- only to dicover that it is an old one. I simply feel if you are going to post a thread implying spanktastic new gear, a quick search and perhaps a bump to the original thread(s) would be more helpful, as it would spare the first two preliminary pages and potentially get to the meat of the topic sooner. Wouldn't that that be the faster way to develop a circulating topic?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:27 am

you're totally right. but at the same time (and with all due respect) who cares?

I'm not trying to start an arguement. just trying to make a point about how ineffectual it is.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:44 am

Johnisfaster wrote: who cares?
Word.

minimal

Post by minimal » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:48 pm

LOFA wrote:This is the third time I have seen this posted in it's own new thread.
you`re right, but better three times a post like this (I had forgotten about this device...) that the weekly "is my powerbook good enough for live" or "how do I arm a track for recording"...
Sure there are repeated posts, but some are less ennoying and more helpful that other "cyclic posts".

all the best and stay groovy

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:26 pm

minimal wrote:
LOFA wrote:This is the third time I have seen this posted in it's own new thread.
you`re right, but better three times a post like this (I had forgotten about this device...) that the weekly "is my powerbook good enough for live" or "how do I arm a track for recording"...
Sure there are repeated posts, but some are less ennoying and more helpful that other "cyclic posts".

all the best and stay groovy
I couldn't agree with you more. And thank you- I am indeed having a gloriously groovy -if I do say so myself! :D

Mmmm... MX Director!

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:10 pm

I think using this as a controller is really nerdy and trying too hard! Now we can check our email AND make chess moves on stage at the same time! Now we have "email face" and intensely concentrating "chessgame face". Having 2 facial expressions will give the show much needed variety. The only thing to decide yet is if there should be a time limit to make a move. They should add a built in timer. :lol:

Now an Atari 2600 joystick...That's cool as shit. :P

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:30 pm

I don't think it's nerdy, I mean you can have one key assigned to do a number of things with one tap. for instance create a track and arm it and start recording all with one key. I believe it can be done. though I could be wrong.

kramer

Post by kramer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:51 pm

It would be cool if the keys came in different colors...like all the clip colors for Live. I could see using it then.