Looping audio clips to playback without warping

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
deva

Post by deva » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:00 pm

forge wrote:yeah I know the thread you mean, but those phase cancellations in my experience are more noticeable in beats mode

repitch has definitely been the most reliable for me whan only looping with no timestretching

but if you use re-pitch sometimes and do not get a phase cancellation, then re-pitch is not 100% reliably NOT affecting the sound.

And with multiple tests, still confusion, Ableton should provide some clear, unambiguous means to NOT use warp when one does not want to.

The very fact that there are repeated confused discussions over how to do something and still people are confused shows it should be made clearer for users.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:01 pm

deva wrote:
forge wrote:yeah I know the thread you mean, but those phase cancellations in my experience are more noticeable in beats mode

repitch has definitely been the most reliable for me whan only looping with no timestretching

but if you use re-pitch sometimes and do not get a phase cancellation, then re-pitch is not 100% reliably NOT affecting the sound.

And with multiple tests, still confusion, Ableton should provide some clear, unambiguous means to NOT use warp when one does not want to.

The very fact that there are repeated confused discussions over how to do something and still people are confused shows it should be made clearer for users.
I've never noticed pitch variations with repitch - but Ingo said there is the chance of pitch variation and are you saying someone tested and there was only sometimes phase cancellations in the double up test?

repitch will never affect sound quality - we know that, there is only the slight chance of detuning - Ingo seemed to be saying this was more likely even than Beats mode warping but I'm not sure why or how - just that in most cases it wont actually warp if the tempo is the same

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:31 pm

from my point of view, changing pitch is affecting sound quality. i'm trying to use live like my own studer, but with loops. that is, i want played back exactly what i record in, with the convenience of using session view to try different arrangement, etc. you can do this by setting up loop regions in a linear recorder, but that's far less flexible than session (because all loops have to be same length). and you can get around this somewhat by just retriggering into arrange without warp/looping once you have figured out what you want to do. this is particularly important if you are recording analog, organic sounds like vox, guitar, piano. our ears are very good at picking out even minute artifacts in "real" sounds.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:00 am

are you noticing the sound quality thing in beats?

If this is a problem then everyone who is noticing it needs to be specific on when it's happenning - maybe the type of audio content (vocal - odd rhythmic stuff...)

I havent used beats in this way for a while, but the othe day when I tried it it sounded identical to the source to me

I really think the whole point Ingo raised here was that Beats will 99.999999% of the time not warp audio that is at the same tempo as it was recorded at

and the amount it will be out by we are talking about after the second decimal place, so it is going to be really minute and in most cases will still not cause live to warp it

because it is caused by a miscalculation of the clip tempo making Live think it needs to warp, then in those cases I think the chances are you may even be able to manually type in the tempo of the clip as a whole number to make sure and/or override it and provided you arent using warp markers at all, and the first one is right at the start of the file (ie if the sample wasnt recorded on the bar then use the sample offset marker and not the warp marker) then I dont think live will do any warping

but you shouldnt need to do that in most cases I dont think, it should leave it alone if the tempo is the same as the original tempo

if autowarp sticks any weird markers in then just right click the first one and choose "warp straight"

but if lots of people ARE noticing problems with quality when at the same tempo and are certain the clip is at the same tempo then report the specifics and maybe even show how

someone here did a phase test where beats totally cancelled didnt they?

on the other hand in "complex" mode I have noticed REAL BAD phasing at the same tempo

forge

Post by forge » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:04 am

deva wrote:

Actually I'm really not sure what I was talkign about in that quote

I cant really say if I've noticed any phasing in beats because I havent used it like that for ages - I was noticing it in complex

I've noticed problems with beats in different tempos to the original though - more the sort of "stepping" sound you get

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:46 pm

i've not noticed any problems in beats or in repitch (likely because my loops are short, so they get retriggered before there's drift). that said, i'm using beats as my standard and using only whole numbers as tempos.

i've noticed real problems with complex and others (i'm one of the fools who assumed complex was "best" and didn't understand why i was getting weird glitches in (e.g.) guitars and vox).

deva

Post by deva » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:17 am

forge wrote:
someone here did a phase test where beats totally cancelled didnt they?

on the other hand in "complex" mode I have noticed REAL BAD phasing at the same tempo
There were some tests. Beats totally canceled in one test, not in another. re-pitch the same I think. But my point is just that here we are talking about it yet again, not entirely sure.

I would like it if Ableton put in an option and said, if you want to record audio, with no chance of audio warping, use this option. I've not had trouble myself, but it does come up a lot

forge

Post by forge » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:30 am

deva wrote:[
I would like it if Ableton put in an option and said, if you want to record audio, with no chance of audio warping, use this option. I've not had trouble myself, but it does come up a lot
but the point is, they have to have a reason to put in the time and effort to put something in and if they are convinced that 99.999% of the time a clip set to the same tempo as the original will not warp then the insecurity of users worrying that it might affect it that 0001% of the time is probably not enough of a reason

Ingo said right there in that post that in most cases it wont warp

he didnt say 99.999% of the time, that was my bit

but even you said here that you've not had trouble yourself

so how many of the users here requesting it here are saying it because they HAVE ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS?

and of those users - if there are any, how many have then made sure the warp marker is as far to the left of the sample as it will go and manually typed in the whole number tempo to try and rectify it then still noticed a problem?

because if nobody here requesting this has actually tried this and/or have never actually noticed any problems in beats mode in this situation then all you are in effect requesting is a placebo to quieten your mind

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:08 pm

I like do you like?
Drums

ploy

Post by ploy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:01 pm

what a fuckin waster. a company too dumbproud of their funny warp-concept as they could add a simple but highly comfortable (take this as a "reason", forgeboy) feature to it that maybe could slightly offend the holy warp-innovation.

that sort of handling consmumer´s wishes goes straight back to the dark days.

kosovopascal

Post by kosovopascal » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:00 pm

After reading up on this thread, i just dropped a vocal into 2 tracks of live, warped one on repitch and threw a utility with phase reverse on L+R and hit play. they did not cancel out at all. did the same thing but turned off warp and they canceled completely. i can post a screenshot if you want. this seems pretty cut-and-dried guys. i wish we could warp without fucking with the audio.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:48 pm

kosovopascal wrote:After reading up on this thread, i just dropped a vocal into 2 tracks of live, warped one on repitch and threw a utility with phase reverse on L+R and hit play. they did not cancel out at all. did the same thing but turned off warp and they canceled completely. i can post a screenshot if you want. this seems pretty cut-and-dried guys. i wish we could warp without fucking with the audio.
how about sticking too a tempo and looping without the warp on, would be a nice option.
Drums

billy1

Post by billy1 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:24 am

icedsushi wrote:I use follow actions but yes, this would be much more convenient. Hey ableton doods, just let us switch the loop switch on while warping is off please. :)
yeah...also that but first of all I want a switch to turn off the automatic warp of new recorded tracks...I hate warping in every single situation...for those who need it let them use it but don't make me...why t. h.!!???,,,it shouldn't be that difficult...it's something like midi quantization...I hate that too but atleast on that matter I'm able to turn it off...so???!!!

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:19 pm

i don't get this -- if you set the default to beat, warp does nothing at same tempo. so why do you need to turn off warp when it's already effectively off at original tempo? are you trying to use unwarped samples at varying tempos? how does that work? what would you get by getting rid of warp that you don't get by setting default to beats and staying at same tempo?

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:46 pm

dj superflat wrote:i don't get this -- if you set the default to beat, warp does nothing at same tempo. so why do you need to turn off warp when it's already effectively off at original tempo? are you trying to use unwarped samples at varying tempos? how does that work? what would you get by getting rid of warp that you don't get by setting default to beats and staying at same tempo?
We dont want to get rid of the warp just have the option of looping without the warp on, why is warp such a big deal? in every other program its just an option as quite obviously its going to have some sort of effect on the sound.

Whats wrong with an option if so many people want it?

Im sorry if ive offended the All Mighty Warp :D
Drums