Looping audio clips to playback without warping

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
kineticUk

Looping audio clips to playback without warping

Post by kineticUk » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:40 pm

Alot of the time I dont need my clips to be warped but just loop.
I think its an extra hassle when I am just working in a set bpm and recording tracks specifically for the song. I would like no alteration at all to the sound of the clips that are recorded.
It would save Cpu for normal audio playback as well.
Please add this simple feature ableton.

:)
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

hrdvsion

i agree

Post by hrdvsion » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:45 pm

also because then you could loop really small sections or more specific without warping...

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:58 am

yes.

this would be useful. Good one

geoffroy

Post by geoffroy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:22 pm

I agree on this one

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:53 pm

I use follow actions but yes, this would be much more convenient. Hey ableton doods, just let us switch the loop switch on while warping is off please. :)

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:42 pm

I hope ableton just basically improve the multitracking functionality by enabling loopingwithoutwarp on a perclip basis.It would be useful in both session view and the arrange. It would add to the program. For one it would be good performance wise, it shouldnt use very much Cpu at all to loop audio clips (when thats all you need to do). Also the sound of your recorded tracks/clips would be better (Or more precise I think)if you didn't need any type of warping happening.
Peace :D

roby

Post by roby » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:26 pm

yes please. i was about to make a post on this

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:30 pm

bumpty bumpty
8)

THD+N

Post by THD+N » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:45 pm

Agreed! Miss it for years.

Move to the TOP!

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:17 pm

I think this is a really improtant feature that ableton should put in,

come on

quandry

Post by quandry » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:44 pm

I guess I agree it could be useful, but there are a couple of things to note. If your clip was recorded at the exact tempo (bpm) of your Live set, having warp on in order to loop the clip does absolutely nothing to degrade the sound--yes, the warp light is on so that it can loop, but it is not warping anything because the clips bpm and the sets bpm perfectly match. I personally cannot tell any difference whatsoever in sound or waveform (when rendering test clips), and would love for someone to post some audio and screen shots if they think that a warped clip that matches the sets bpm sounds/looks any different than the same clip not warped. There was another thread on this recently, and someone said complex warp does alter the sound in this case, but none of the other warp modes do--haven't tested complex myself, but have certainly tested the others in this case.

Given that clips whose orignal bpm matched the sets bpm are unaltered in sound even when warped, the only other scenario is unmatched bpms. Obviously if you want your clips to play at the sets tempo in Live, they must be warped to match the set tempo in this case. The third and final scenario (which is maybe what you guys want??!?) would be looping an unwarped clip reguardless of Live's tempo, so that it justs loops at the original tempo. I guess this might work out for some experiemental tones and textures, but for any rythmic source, having two clips of different bpms looping on top of each other will generally sound cacophonus. My question is--is this what people want--clips looping at their original tempos reguardless of the sets tempo??? Or is it that people (possibly erroneously) think that just because the "warp" button is on, that you clip must be degraded in quality, even if it's original bpm matches the Live sets bpm? Experience and testing seem to indicate that there is no altering of sound in the case of exactly matching bpm, imho. Feel free to post audio and screenshots to prove me wrong.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:27 am

Thanks for your comments and I wont bother trying to prove you wrong cause I cant be bothered. However I do disagree,
Warping does effect the sound.
I just want to loop a bit of audio without warping on at all.

quandry

Post by quandry » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:02 am

kineticUk wrote:Thanks for your comments and I wont bother trying to prove you wrong cause I cant be bothered. However I do disagree,
Warping does effect the sound.
I just want to loop a bit of audio without warping on at all.
well, I guess we'll just have to disagree, but I am not alone in my conclusions:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Try it--set Live's tempo to whatever you please. Record a clip to that tempo. set it to loop and warp if it isn't already. set the warp mode to "Beats" and try changing the note division value. No change in sound. now try chaning Live's tempo, and then changing the note division value again--you can hear rhythmic stutters on your clip that correspond to the note division value you set. Granted, it you change ANYTHING about the clips parameters, Live by default MUST warp the clip--by changing the parameters it is no longer sounding like the original unaltered clip--it is warping as per the parameters you change. Again, try a test--use the same sound you recorded for the first test and simply change the pitch, keeping the tempo the same as when you recorded the clip. In beats mode, again change the note division, and you will hear the stuttering--simply changing the pitch or any parameter forces Live to warp the clip to your parameters. Feel free to disagree, but I have tested this somewhat extensively and scientifically as I do live looping performances, and my expereience tells me that looped and warped clips recorded exactly at Live's tempo, without any parameters changed, are EXACTLY the same audio as the unwarped original clip. Either you have changed parameters, the original bpm isn't what you thought it was, you are in complex warp mode, or the green light is throwing you off, cause the audio is the same.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:45 pm

Yeah I do hear where you are coming from quandry.
And this is not a complaint about current state of warping in Live.
I use live to make my tunes so mainly a composition tool recording etc.
At the moment I am making tunes that are a set tempo and some clips dont need to warp at all, just straight multitracked audio if possible.
I would like the option if its possible to disable warp but keep looping the audio.

quandry

Post by quandry » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:01 pm

kineticUk wrote:Yeah I do hear where you are coming from quandry.
And this is not a complaint about current state of warping in Live.
I use live to make my tunes so mainly a composition tool recording etc.
At the moment I am making tunes that are a set tempo and some clips dont need to warp at all, just straight multitracked audio if possible.
I would like the option if its possible to disable warp but keep looping the audio.
I hear you too, and agree that it wouldn't hurt to be able to turn off warp when looping clips at the tempo at which they were recorded, but just wanted to point out that the sound quality is unaltered. I think it is unlikely that it will happen, because it seems that looping is tied to a clip being in warp mode as it stands now, and it might be a bear for them to change the code otherwise for no real gain other than the light not being on. The only workaround would be to work in arrangerview and cut and paste.