show more than one automation at a time in arrange window

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
atomic

show more than one automation at a time in arrange window

Post by atomic » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:55 pm

I find it somewhat anoying that I can only see one automation value at a time in the arange window. It would be great if you could have (at least) the basic live instruments have colour coded lines so that you could show, lets say all the mixer settings at one time. And then you could select the your auto filter and its main peramiters would show up in say 6 different colours and so on. This would make things alot easier on my head in complicated transitions. Not to mention saving me alot of time.

This is just a basic idea but I think it gets the idea accross.
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:05 pm

I think it's a good idea. There would need to be a limit before it became unusable perhaps (like you say) 6. I can't remember a recent case where I needed to see more than 6 envelopes for a track (at once).

If the Abe's introduce vector based animation curves then the number of points will diminish and so this would help with multi-envelop clarity.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:33 pm

A 'show all automation per track' menu option would send Live a bit furthur towards actually being a DAW. As it stands, Live tends to push you towards playing the automation live and simply going for another take instead of going for an on screen edit.

I'd like the choice though, and i'd like it even better if Live didn't smooth the recorded data to death, forcing you to make an on screen manual edit.

Vector automation with proper bezier curves, complete control over how much data reduction takes place and the ability to view as many automation parameters as you like would be my personal choice. :wink:

tylast

Post by tylast » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:18 pm

I'm thinking of maybe a show all automation view ~ where each automation curve is color coded to the corresponding device parameter that shows up in a new list view to the right. Even better if users were able to select particular automation to be shown in a combined view...say only pan & volume if they want.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:45 pm

tylast wrote:I'm thinking of maybe a show all automation view ~ where each automation curve is color coded to the corresponding device parameter that shows up in a new list view to the right. Even better if users were able to select particular automation to be shown in a combined view...say only pan & volume if they want.
Good idea, that would save a lot of screen real estate, you only really need to see the other automation relative to the one your'e editing, as a reference.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:48 am

yeah..
I want multiple envelope lanes as well..

atomic

Post by atomic » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:19 pm

wow glad to see that i am not the only one!

Thanks to all who are offering ideas.
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

bot

Post by bot » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:29 am

this is a BIG THING!!!!!!!
it should be like in logic (not wanting anything to be like anything but the case here is VERY nicely resolved in logic)

one automation per track showing at once is really really annoying. Especially when u have to program some synth modulations and stuff with no reference to what the other faders/knobs are doing.

pretty pretty please with lfo on top :)

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:30 am

Another vote from me... who wants to just edit cutoff, when you could edit cutoff AND resonance without having to click and cycle betweent the two :)

borg

Post by borg » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:52 am

atomic wrote:wow glad to see that i am not the only one!
i'm all for it! i wish more people would present their wish in a thread like this one does. one request per thread. i've seen many people asking for this, but most of the time it's included in a list of feature wishes... how can the abes sift through it comfortably?

ah well, yet another vote from me. :smile:
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:29 pm

Definitely. A good way to enable this would be to have a switch for all automations showing, but only have one active and editable one on top at a time. You could then switch back and forth between paramters while having the others greyed-out behind it for reference.

k

tylast

Post by tylast » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:29 pm

Now that it's the year 2006...you have been resurrected. :P

bot

Post by bot » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:24 am

dirtystudios wrote:Definitely. A good way to enable this would be to have a switch for all automations showing, but only have one active and editable one on top at a time. You could then switch back and forth between paramters while having the others greyed-out behind it for reference.

k
And this is not so good way cuz it would be some extra fiddling between "the switch" and tracks, which is practically the same as it is now. Ecxept for reference, which is also not so good cuz it would be greyed-out and hard to define.

TonySoprano

Post by TonySoprano » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:09 am

For my way of working, multiple viewable automation lanes is top of my feature wishlist.
Check out my latest mix:-
http://www.mixdepot.net/OutOfMySystem

clayev2k

Post by clayev2k » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:33 pm

absolutely agree that this is the single-most-needed feature!>...
3 or 4 lanes at a time should suffice since a limit is probably required to ensure good performance.
but one is simply inadequate.
i'm glad to see this is already being suggested heavily.

mcc>

mancalledclay
aka clownsitterz
sagebomb
lala gondola
evolution2000