Anyone in Washington DC?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dave999z

Anyone in Washington DC?

Post by dave999z » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:36 am

Hey folks,

i'm moving from Chicago to DC in a couple weeks and am wondering if any Live users had recommendations for where to hear electronic music in DC.

i'm going to see Sigur Ros (not really electronic, but cool) out at the Strathmore in September. But I'm wondering if there are any clubs that regularly bring in electronic artists. (There are several here in Chicago.)

Additionally, if anyone could recommend where to hear could DJs in DC, that'd be cool too.

Thanks!
Dave

mikemc

Re: Anyone in Washington DC?

Post by mikemc » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:36 pm

dave999z wrote:Hey folks,

i'm moving from Chicago to DC in a couple weeks and am wondering if any Live users had recommendations for where to hear electronic music in DC.

i'm going to see Sigur Ros (not really electronic, but cool) out at the Strathmore in September. But I'm wondering if there are any clubs that regularly bring in electronic artists. (There are several here in Chicago.)

Additionally, if anyone could recommend where to hear could DJs in DC, that'd be cool too.

Thanks!
Dave
Sigur Ros at Strathmore, sounds cool, didn't know that was coming up.

The most regular electronic venues are probably Nation, which is also the one where you're likely to see big name DJs (Van Dyk will be there next week) and Velvet Lounge, every Weds is electronic/experimental. Platinum, Dream, DC9, RED, Club Five are all techno/DJ. The 'national act' club venue most likely to book electronic artists is 9:30 Club. Look around in
http://cityguide.aol.com/washington/bars/ to get an idea.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

bermudagold

Post by bermudagold » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:51 pm

I dont really frequent that scene.....but prolly should check it out.....but I've heard some of the guys you talk about on here playing at Nation as the cat above said, and platinum, and H2O on fridays.....there is also fur....i think the infamous (according to this site) sasha was there recently....they prolly got some pics...here's the link

www.furnightclub.com

bad boy bill and steve smooth (whoever they are..lol) were there this weekend.....john didiweed and tiesto are scheduled coming up i believe...heard the names before but tdont know their stuff....here's the promotion link

www.clubglow.com

the sanctuary has good deep house djs.....club five and avenue bring in some acts like that i believe.....chi cha lounge has some ecelectic electronic dj's.....

dcnites.com prolly has more info for that crowd.....have fun...peace

feyshay

Blow

Post by feyshay » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:35 am

You might want to check out Blow Off (I think it is called) at the 0930 Club.
http://modulate.blogspot.com/
Last one was 7/23/05. Happens about once a month.

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:46 am

Thanks for the leads, everyone. I appreciate it!

I will check these places out.

Dave

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:12 pm

sound tribe sector 9 at 9:30 club October 13--three macs running live on stage, one of the best live bands (and sickest drummers) around. I'll be there.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net