Organizng wav files ... program?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
supster

Organizng wav files ... program?

Post by supster » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:33 pm

ive been trying to find a way to organize all of the drum samples on my harddrive into usable categories for impulse, guru and other drum VSTs

there doesnt seem to be any efficient way to do this without pulling my hair out however, and i have searched all over the net and tried all sorts of workarounds.

i need to:

- quickly preview the sample.

- if i want it, quickly move it into a favorites folder or delete it

needs to happen hundreds of times without pausing, making me scroll thru tons of windows, and it needs to handle 24bit files and aiff files.

Live is not good for this because - even with the global quant set to 32nd notes, there is still a pause when you preview the file. it wants to fire on the bar? which is taking too long.

also - dragging and dropping on long lists of files means you are constantly scrolling ALL the way up to your favorites folder .. losing your place .. then scrolling ALL the way down to find where you left off.

theres a little program called Wavman that is the only thing even close to what i need ... seemed perfect ... but doesnt support 24bit or aiff. therefore useless.

anyone have any methods or ideas how this can be done? i really would like to get full use out of my drum samples, and cant because there are just too many to find what i need.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

SkeptikTank

Post by SkeptikTank » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:55 pm

If you are on a mac, audiofinder will do what you ask for, and much much more.
Hard: G5 2*2mhz, 2,5 mb, PB15 1,5MHZ, 1,5 mb, fw410, BCR2000, Korg mikrokontroll, GI20 midi guitar, variax500, Soft: osx 10.4.1: NI Komplete, Ohmforce complete, Pluggo,zebra, filterscape, etc

supster

Post by supster » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:13 pm

SkeptikTank wrote:If you are on a mac, audiofinder will do what you ask for, and much much more.
nope :) PC. granted macs searching and file organization blows windows away from what ive seen, cant wait to see if vista helps out in that regard
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

Tommy_B

Post by Tommy_B » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:57 pm

I've been using Sample Catalog for a bit and its pretty cool in the fact that is has individual catagory setup, drag & drop, and best of all, its free.

SAMPLE CATALOG

supster

Post by supster » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:26 am

Tommy_B wrote:I've been using Sample Catalog

thanks, yeah this is the only other one that ive seen.

looks ok - problem though, it wont play thru my audio out (??) and all my other apps do fine. no way to set that in the options

it seems like mainly a database too ... can you physically move the files where you want them and rename them or is it mainly a catalog?
--

Tommy_B

Post by Tommy_B » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:12 am

Its mainly a catalog/fast browsing program but you do have the ability to move stuff around, delete, rename and well....thats about it.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:20 am

I've been getting Loophorse with my mucic magazines lately. Haven't tried it out, though...

Cheers,
Mikael

Tommy_B

Post by Tommy_B » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:59 pm

In regards to Loophorse: I just d-loaded it and its a pretty nice program but it lacks what I consider to be a HUGE feature which it drag & drop. The window is automatically maximized and theres no way of getting around it.

I has a lot of cool bells and whistles that more than make up for it...

Lastly, as I'm posting this, Loophorse keeps giving me a file copy error even though I'm not focused on the program (its minimized in the background). I think with a little tweaking on the part of the developer, this could be one bad-ass program.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:37 am

http://www.icedaudio.com

Now Universal Binary.

dallas!

Re: Organizng wav files ... program?

Post by dallas! » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:00 pm

supster wrote:ive been trying to find a way to organize all of the drum samples on my harddrive into usable categories for impulse, guru and other drum VSTs

there doesnt seem to be any efficient way to do this without pulling my hair out however, and i have searched all over the net and tried all sorts of workarounds.

i need to:

- quickly preview the sample.

- if i want it, quickly move it into a favorites folder or delete it

needs to happen hundreds of times without pausing, making me scroll thru tons of windows, and it needs to handle 24bit files and aiff files.

Live is not good for this because - even with the global quant set to 32nd notes, there is still a pause when you preview the file. it wants to fire on the bar? which is taking too long.
It might not work for your samples...you'll have to check it but I've been using Final Scratch for years and when it came out a guy called Flat Feet Pete brought out a simple tool for listening/previewing sound files and moving them about a directory system (and it works over a network). The programs called tunemover and is PC only I think....very easy to install, simple to use, FREE, and if it doesn't do what you want you can easily delete it.

Hope that helps.

dallas!

supster

Post by supster » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:29 pm

i actually ended up using a combination of tools:

Xplorer 2 (x2) Pro: replaced winexplore for me, does quick audio previewing and has a split pane to easily drag and drop --

supports integrated WMP or Quicktime for the previewing and allows me to preview wav, aif, mp3, and flac and organize them well

Media Monkey: does all my track management for DJing, nice searchable database, also supports wav, aif, flac, mp3

DB Poweramp: integrates into explorer (or X2) context menus and converts just about any format to any format / samplerate .... really nice, does batches quick

--

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:36 pm

hambone1 wrote:http://www.icedaudio.com

Now Universal Binary.
Mac only

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:38 pm

supster wrote:
Tommy_B wrote:I've been using Sample Catalog

thanks, yeah this is the only other one that ive seen.

looks ok - problem though, it wont play thru my audio out (??) and all my other apps do fine. no way to set that in the options

it seems like mainly a database too ... can you physically move the files where you want them and rename them or is it mainly a catalog?

At SampleCatalog's site:
Last update: May 12, 2003
(SampleCatalog does not play 24bit samples. Since I no longer work on the program, it will not be updated with new features. You can still download and use the program until it's available.)
I'm toying with the idea of trying to write one for the PC for my own use. Loophorse is fairly good but didn't have 24 bit support last I looked.