L5 Track delay not working on MIDI track output

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
icedsushi

L5 Track delay not working on MIDI track output

Post by icedsushi » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:28 pm

The new Live 5 "track delay" setting feature in session view in has no effect on midi output timing to external devices. Delay compensation is turned ON as stated in the manual.

I'm trying to predelay midi from the track to compensate the reaction time of my Virus Indigo. I can get the Virus's LFO's, delays synced perfectly to clock with the clock delay in Live's prefs, but quantized midi quarter notes sent from Live to the Virus still result in late audio, of course. I was hoping this new feature would compensate for midi reaction times of my external synth during playback.

Track delay on an audio track works fine.

Is there something I'm missing...or is the delay only intended for audio output?

Andreas Zapf

Post by Andreas Zapf » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:03 am

Hi icedsushi,

track delays in midi tracks generally should work. However, if a track has a feedback connection it will be excluded from compensation and its track delay will be ignored. Maybe this applies to your set.

To check this, please try a simple set containing nothing but a midi track routed to your synth. You should be able to sync the midi track to the metronome using the track delay.

Regards, Andreas

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Hey thanks for the help.

I suspected there might be a midi feedback issue before my inquiry. I had the same midi port selected as in & out on the same track, which could be creating a feedback loop. I deselected the midi input on the track to "no input", effectively cancelling the midi feedback issue, but there was no change in sync. Maybe the Live track has "memory" after a feedback loop and won't reset itself after the loop is broken?

As you recommend, I will try a fresh set tonight with 1 midi track output to the synth (no midi input) and see how it goes.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:34 am

Yes that's what it was. Just make sure there is no midi feedback by selecting "no input" on a fresh midi track. Works like a charm now. Now I've got perfect independent midi sync of both notes and clock. I've been waiting for something like this feature for a long time. Someone over there at Ableton has been listening to us. :D

Logic 7 doesn't even do this properly, after all this time they've had to fix it. (More than 2 years since Logic 5 and still not working?) I've been so disappointed with Logic in this area and they haven't even fixed the basic midi clock delay problems yet.

This feature was worth the upgrade to 5 alone! It has made my life so much easier. You guys are my heroes! Keep it up doodes!