Quicker way of rendering for export to Protools/Logic etc

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
statlerandwaldorf

Quicker way of rendering for export to Protools/Logic etc

Post by statlerandwaldorf » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:19 pm

If you want to take your track into a professional studio or for some other reason put it somewhere other than live, but in its constituent parts, its much easier to do the following than render 1 track at a time.

Add about 5 audio tracks (how many you can do depends on your PC i think - i can do up to 8 that i've tried so far). Route the first 5 audio tracks to these tracks and arm them all. I recommend labelling the new tracks so the filename will be right.

Then start at the beginning and record. The five tracks you have routed will be recorded in realtime. The realtime element is critical if you are using VST's that have problems rendering out of realtime (i.e. RMIV and others) which cannot be recorded any other way.

Repeat the process until all of your tracks are long single wave files. Save a copy of your set and then save self contained.

If you take this single folder of <my set name> sounds to the studio, they can import it directly into a protools / logic / cubase or any other session no worries.

www.statlerandwaldorf.com

Original Tech Breaks

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:58 pm

Nice tip S&W! But pay attention to your routings if you have FX in send channels that you want to print with certain parts. But I'll definately be using this trick for "dry" tracks.

Nice one :)

statlerandwaldorf

Post by statlerandwaldorf » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:00 pm

You can still do it in this case. You just insert another audio track, and route the effected track to the new track. Recording on the new track will catch all the effects as well

Original Tech Breaks

gsbe

Post by gsbe » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:21 am

good tip. I started off using a similar method and then came up with another way to chop up long songs for looped sections. I was actually coming from the other direction than you, I received eight mono tracks of finished material from ADATs to be sliced up into sections. I beat-aligned these long tracks and then selected the looped sections that I wanted in the arrangement view. Using the Tab key, I dragged them onto the session view creating new instances of the same files that were ready to be looped. The benefit of using this method over the re-recording way you described is that all new clips are derived from a single file without having to take up more RAM by re-recording the clips. Hopefully this thread now provides suggestions of how to do this import/export in either direction successfully! Cheers.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:23 pm

good idea, I havent ever thought about doing that!

Jiddahmoon

Post by Jiddahmoon » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:22 am

Right, but I still have to import each track into my DAW. That's super lame. Why won't rewire allow me to just print audio tracks into my DAW? It only acts as a monitoring system.