more grooves please

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
handojin

more grooves please

Post by handojin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:38 am

i used to hate the built in groove timing with ableton 4 but starting to get used to it.. i cant stand straight quantizing ( dont do rave music) and the one included is ok.. but just ok... to much groove sounds slopy and just enough sounds like 2step...
what i would love to see is a groove template folder where we can fill with midi parts containing different grooves for different feel's... that would be the best and most flexible imo..
or alternatively have a select few grooves,, 8-10 to choose from including the infamous roger lynn mpc grooves... now that might be something else... bundle it with ni's battery and you have a software mpc'ish combo.. i think as it stands live is great for electronic production.. but for more groove oriented stuff i have to stick with cubase... hiphop... brokenbeats.. nu jazz... anything funkyer and more soulfull just cant be quantized that way
i think if you payed roger lynn for the name to tag along with live it would increase sales and put quite a few more mpc's on ebay

if we where able to import our own grooves via midi files we could make ez templates that have the first 3 counts 16th note and the last count as triplet.. just an example of how this saves me time in cubase.

amo

Post by amo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:08 am

I agree that more midi grooves would be awsome. Linn is one sort.

Even a way to apply them to audio via adaptive move of worp markers would be something.... revolutionnary ! but that's another wish I guess.

Regards,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

astar

Post by astar » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:17 am

Agreed, this is number one on the list for me. It has been mentioned a few times..

LIVE could develop a revolutionary groove engine making it possible to apply and extract grooves to both audio and midi. Hopefully this will be in the works for Live 6 (or maybe live 5.x???)

I have a huge collection of breakbeats... to be able to extract the groove from these breaks and quantize my MIDI parts to them (all within LIVE) would be beautiful!
Asus A8JS, Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz, 2GB DDR2 667Mhz, 100GB 5400RPM SATA, Echo Indigo IOX, Windows XP SP3, Live 8.0.5

tloops

Post by tloops » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:15 am

Live would be perfect with better a management of the grooves and the ability to make his own grooves

It is a big lack and when i want to do midi sequence with a groove I need to use an other software :evil: i will prefer to do all with live :twisted:

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:48 pm

astar wrote:Agreed, this is number one on the list for me. It has been mentioned a few times..

LIVE could develop a revolutionary groove engine making it possible to apply and extract grooves to both audio and midi. Hopefully this will be in the works for Live 6 (or maybe live 5.x???)

I have a huge collection of breakbeats... to be able to extract the groove from these breaks and quantize my MIDI parts to them (all within LIVE) would be beautiful!
Its possible that Sony has some patents on that...
They at least anounced that feature in Acid a bit in a way that sounds like it.
But i am not sure...
But even without auto extraction live is allready very dedicated to shift grooves...would be very nice if you could copy warp marker sets to other clips (maybe there is something like that in Live 5??) and especially midiclips...you can create your own set of grooves than or copy the groove of an audio file to the midiworld than.
Maybe even with velocity settings like in the old opcode sequencers...

bframes

groove vs swing

Post by bframes » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:30 am

Yeah, I guess they confused some people by calling it global groove. Not really the right term for what this verion does- unless they're planning on expanding it! (hint hint)

You said it best when you mentioned 2 step- it's straight up swing - nothing to do with velocity or anything past moving the sencond 16th note later in time. Like a drummer with a lazy left hand playing single sixteenths.

ccc
Intel P4 2.2gHz 512 ram
Intel motherboard
soundcard: M-Audio USB Audiophile

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:35 pm

BUMP :mrgreen:

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:41 pm

bump please.