PC / Windows XP best setup + config for running Live, Reason

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
brandonjp

PC / Windows XP best setup + config for running Live, Reason

Post by brandonjp » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:49 am

when I'm not at home i'm using this little windows xp laptop with 1ghz pentium 3 with 512mb ram with an m-audio oxy8 and fw410 - i don't really use this machine for much else than playing / recording at shows

does anyone know some good tips on how to setup and/or configure it for optimal use of live and reason? i've done the musicxp.net tips and a few other of the 'usual' tricks, but if it would help i'm even interested in running a different shell (like Litestep or geOshell) or better yet running no shell and loading straight to Live and Reason - any ideas?
brandon j pfeiffer ** brandonjp.com
cuestreetstudios.com ** littleamericarecords.com

brandonjp

Post by brandonjp » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:37 am

in case anyone's interested...I found a great comment thread featuring tips on how to run ANY program (particularly Live) as/instead of the Windows explorer .exe shell ....very cool....check it out....

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/02/0 ... rformance/

--bp

stutter

Post by stutter » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:07 pm

there were a few threads about using Live as a shell on here a little while back. I'm not sure how much it actually helped performance, cool though it is.
If you've followed the musicxp tips you should be good, you just need to have removed as many services as possible, especially all the internet related things.
There are a couple of registry related things here:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=11119
although I'm not sure how much difference they make.

I defragmented my hard disk with a proper program rather than the free windows one, and that seems to have helped.
(just realised the first post is really old, and you probably don't even use that laptop anymore)

4am

Post by 4am » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:41 pm

i would try to install windows xp lite (the smallest version)
and put some more ram...

brandonjp

Post by brandonjp » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:03 pm

hey fellas-- thanks for the replies
that post was quite awhile ago - I just assumed nobody else thought it a worthy idea... here's what I did...and sadly enough - I do still have and sometimes use that same laptop!!

I did a couple partitions on the harddrive and installed windows xp separately on both drives for a dual-boot system (i've actually been playing with linux on it) (and I'm looking forward to this UbuntuStudio release!!)

I use one partition/windows install for normal tasks like internet, on-the-road office work (my audio software is loaded on to it as well)

The other windows install is ONLY Live and Reason and plugins - didn't use xplite or nlite - I just removed ALL the crap from tweakxp and musicxp sites

so far so good!!
but it is time for a new laptop! (macbook maybe!?!)
--bp