reasons why warp markers would disappear

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
galo

reasons why warp markers would disappear

Post by galo » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:54 am

this is quite frustrating, on some clips my warp markers keep disappearing, this seems to happen especially on clips which ableton decides to assign markers itself, for example if a loop i want to encrporate is 5 seconds long, even if the clip is at 130 bpm, i warp it , save the settings, reset , comeback the clip is reset to 140bpm because that is the default ableton setting for the clip

aaaggghhh

please help

kabuki

Re: reasons why warp markers would disappear

Post by kabuki » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:41 am

galo wrote:...i warp it , save the settings, reset , comeback the clip is reset to 140bpm because that is the default ableton setting for the clip

aaaggghhh

please help

RESET puts the clip to the default settings. DON'T use it unless things have gotten wonky with the clip markers and starting over is the easiest way to fix your woes...
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

galo

Post by galo » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:55 am

sorry i mean reset in the geberal computer reset, not clip reset

please help

galo

Post by galo » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:38 am

as in ableton automatically selects a bpm depending for the clip and if i try and save otherwise it does'nt save :x

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:18 am

i've had similar experiences transferring projects from one macine to another, especially with full songs warped for DJ'ing.... when opened on a friend's machine, the clips have no warp marker data. the only way around it is to consolidate the clips before transferring so at least you'll know where the start and end should go if the clip decides not to remember the markers.

galo

Post by galo » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:08 pm

hhmm it seems to happen more on clips that ableton trys to automatically select the bpm, loops etc

i was wondering if you can tunr his function off

signal

Post by signal » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:09 am

I'm experiencing similar behavior in 4.1.4 without even closing a set. Warp a clip, move on, warp another, return to a previously warped clip and all markers are gone. I'm not sure bpm is the issue in my case as the clips are recorded at the project bpm and the markers are just for finetuning.

Any explanations for this?

snt

Post by snt » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:35 pm

in my case the warp markers are being reset if i alt+tab to a different program and the return to live 4.1.4.

in the edit menu next to command+z it says: "undo reset warp markers and loop" as if i had reseted the clip.

sam
---
Mac PowerBook G4 400 MHz | OSX.3.9 | Live 4.1.4

signal

Post by signal » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:21 pm

Glad to hear someone confirm that toggling between apps might be causing this in 4.1.4. In my case, I worked out that it happens nearly every time when launching Sound Forge using the "Edit" button in Clip properties. Upon returning to Live, previously warped clips were Reset.

I never thought to look at the Undo function in the Edit menu.

I proposed at one point during an exchange with Ableton support that this might be it, but they weren't aware of this behavior. I'm going to shoot them another email.

If it is a bug, it would be nice to get patch for 4.1.4 for those of us with no imminent need to upgrade to 5.

jason

snt

Post by snt » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:45 am

i just posted a link to this thread to Bugs & Problems Forum. hope we'll get some response.

sam

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:49 am

Hi snt,

unfortunately Live 4.1.4 is very strict when the related physical audio file is changed in any way. So only the change of the modification date of the related audio file will cause a reset of the warp markers.

This beavior is still the same in Live 5.0.1 but will be changed for the upcoming bug fix update of 5.0.2. So the current beta 5.0.2b4 will handle external changes of an audio file more intelligent.

regards,
Alex

signal

Post by signal » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:39 pm

Thanks for the reply, Alex.
Let me try to clarify. I'm experiencing this with clips that were Warped after being edited externally. For example:

Record 2 clips simultaneously into 2 Live tracks.

Open Clip 1 in wave editor, with Ableton running in background

Cut space before 1st beat and paste at end of file (or other edit)

Save and return to Live

Warp Clip 1.

Open Clip 2 in wave editor

Cut space before 1st beat etc.

Save and return to Live

Clip 1 has lost its Warp markers

Hope this is clear.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:02 pm

Any time you modify the wave file, Live assumes it's a new file and rewarps. Obviously editing a wave file in an external editor is modifying the wave file, thus the behaviour you're seeing.

Some wave editors will append loop point info to the wave header when they save, even if you don't tell them to. This too is also something Live interprets as being a new file. Additionally, there are some wave editors that add a form of dither behind the scenes when converting from their native bit depths to the bit depth of the saved file, same result.

For the safest option, don't do ANYTHING with your wave files in otehr editors (even open them) after you have you warp markers set.

DJ's especially, it sucks losing an entire collection worth of warped tunes by a small misake. When ever I warp a bunch of new tracks, they always get saved to DVDr immediately, just in case.

signal

Post by signal » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:29 pm

Tarekith wrote:don't do ANYTHING with your wave files in otehr editors (even open them) after you have you warp markers set.
I understand this which is why I don't do it. My previous post outlines that markers are lost in previously warped clips after editing OTHER new clips.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:58 pm

I'm dyslexic, and read your post backwards....

yrros