OS 9 Users

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bernd

OS 9 Users

Post by Bernd » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:14 pm

Dear Ableton Live Users,

Recently, we announced Live 5, a massive update to nearly every aspect of the program. We are very excited about the innovations covered in this release and hope you will discover that many of your feature requests have been met. Live 5 will be the first version of Live without support for OS 9. While this change will affect a very small percentage of our users, we want to sincerely apologize to anyone unable to upgrade to Live 5. It simply came down to allocating our finite resources and maximizing our development efforts.

Sincerely
The Abletons
Last edited by Bernd on Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

kay101011

Post by kay101011 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:18 pm

good decision, since 10.3 there is no need for os9 anymore.
you should better focus your development to the 64bit support thru 10.4 (or maybe the full usage of 2 processors).
system information:

Powerbook G4 667MHz DVI 512MB RAM
MOTU 828 mkII
OS X 10.4.1
BCR2000

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:15 am

i second that..

good move to drop OS9, but please give us dual processor support, and altivec proper ..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

rand

Post by rand » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:46 pm

I 3rd it.
rRand

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:17 am

i wonder, do you think it might be possible to continue to make live 4 available for those people that want to keep an OS 9 machine around? sort of like the way cycling 74 still provides access to older versions of max around.

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:37 am

even though I use X now - there are a lot of people who still have to use 9 in the world of production.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:11 am

Milkmansound wrote:even though I use X now - there are a lot of people who still have to use 9 in the world of production.
and there's loads who still use Windows 3.1, doesn't mean people shoul feel like they have to support it.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:09 am

Milkmansound wrote:even though I use X now - there are a lot of people who still have to use 9 in the world of production.
And it's about time they upgraded, don't you think?

xl5

Post by xl5 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:52 pm

nobbystylus wrote:… but please give us dual processor support, and altivec proper .
I agree, it's a wise move to let go of OS9 support. But not only do I second those who would like Live to support Dual CPUs and Altivec, I have to admit I was really dissapointed to see Live 5 still wouldn't support Dual CPUs and/or Altivec. When I bought Live 4 I thought to myself, wow, this is a huge improvement over version 3, so if they keep making it better at this rate version 5 will support Dual CPUs. There's no doubt about it. But the news came and… NO.

I am not saying version 5 is not a great improvement thought but since DualCPUs/and Altivec support was #1 on my wish list for the last two upgrades, I, like many others ,couldn't help but be disappointed.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:05 pm

xl5 wrote:
nobbystylus wrote:… but please give us dual processor support, and altivec proper .
I agree, it's a wise move to let go of OS9 support. But not only do I second those who would like Live to support Dual CPUs and Altivec, I have to admit I was really dissapointed to see Live 5 still wouldn't support Dual CPUs and/or Altivec. When I bought Live 4 I thought to myself, wow, this is a huge improvement over version 3, so if they keep making it better at this rate version 5 will support Dual CPUs. There's no doubt about it. But the news came and… NO.

I am not saying version 5 is not a great improvement thought but since DualCPUs/and Altivec support was #1 on my wish list for the last two upgrades, I, like many others ,couldn't help but be disappointed.
This is very true... if apple is a supported platform all features should be used...
It´s really a bit sub standard to see this beeing an item for such along time... Abelton has a great conceptional base...but code wise they are far away from the market leaders.. A version 5 is actually a bit cheating...in terms of major software platforms you could call it a version 2...maybe a version 3....

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:11 pm

Hmm, Apple is going to use intel chips in the future. Good bye Altivec. You should praise us for not waisting resources into a technology which we tested and did not get a significant boost and which would have had the huge problem of maintaining two code bases.

Robert

dpel

Post by dpel » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:28 pm

Robert Henke wrote:Hmm, Apple is going to use intel chips in the future. Good bye Altivec. You should praise us for not waisting resources into a technology which we tested and did not get a significant boost and which would have had the huge problem of maintaining two code bases.

Robert
go robert
go robert
it's you birth day
it's you birth day
:lol: 8) 8O
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

xl5

Post by xl5 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:52 pm

Robert Henke wrote:Hmm, Apple is going to use intel chips in the future. Good bye Altivec. You should praise us for not waisting resources into a technology which we tested and did not get a significant boost and which would have had the huge problem of maintaining two code bases.

Robert
Hi Robert,
Excuse me if I am not familiar with all Ableton employees/owners, but I can only guess by the way you talk that you are part of the Ableton team. First I would like to thank Ableton for a great music application. But after reading you comment I can't help but feeling that you don't take critisism too well. Don't expect me to PRAISE ???? anyone who ask for praises, that pathetic to say the least. And frankly as it was with me, the principal concern of this person was with dual cpu support. Thanks again

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi xl5,
sorry for being a bit unserious* about this issue, and my appologies for not making clear that I am with Ableton. We do not split audio processing into different threads and this means all audio runs on one processor. But on a dual processor machine the audio thread and the rest runs on seperate CPUs, allowing you to have a higher CPU load without loosing the control over the interface.

Robert Henke
Ableton

* no need to praise for anything. Of course not. It was just a stupid burst of sudden happiness from my side since we never felt to comfortable with the whole Altivec issue. We want to deliver a product which works best for everyone and if this can be done without much platform dependent code we are more flexible to adapt to changing conditions from the hardware side. If our tests would have shown a significant boost on Altivec we had done it, but the results were disappointing. Given this it turned out to be a good thing not to invest too much time in it.

xl5

Post by xl5 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:09 pm

Robert Henke wrote: We do not split audio processing into different threads and this means all audio runs on one processor. But on a dual processor machine the audio thread and the rest runs on seperate CPUs, allowing you to have a higher CPU load without loosing the control over the interface.

… no need to praise for anything. It was just a stupid burst of sudden happiness from my side…
Robert,
Since you do not need or ask praises anymore, I guess it's now OK for me to praise both Abelton and Live :)
This application has changed the way I now write music. It's now a lot more natural and a whole lots less analytical. Now, I know Live can't be everything to everyone and I don't want it to be. Since you added MIDI support, I am now able to complete my projects from start to finish all in LIVE. But the only way I can accomplish this is by doing things I should not be forced to do, like rendering VST/AU instruments part. Yes, like i said in another tread, I am very greatful for the freeze function introduced in version 5, but dual cpu audio support would have greatly enhanced and facilitate my work and the work of others in my situation. I left Logic behind for Live. Yes, I gained a lot of spontaneity but since Logic already had Freeze function and Dual CPU audio support, I also lost something I would LOVE to get back.
My two cents. And don't expect me to let go of this request anytime soon, I intend to keep pressuring you all at Ableton until you DO IT.

I'll even buy Live 5 so you can have the resources to DO IT. But you can start DOING IT now.

Thanks in advance for what is a geat composition application and what WILL BE the best. DO IT.

Cheers