Has ANyone Seen Computer Music Magazine Issue #53 P.11

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Has ANyone Seen Computer Music Magazine Issue #53 P.11

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:09 am

the one with Muzzys sequencer on the cover. On page 11 I am right now looking at what looks just like aBletons live but is called Remix.

now I've seen the other thread regarding this software so I know all of you are aware of it but the thing that pisses me off is that, it looks identical
to Live and computer music even says that it is a cut down version of live without rewire, or midi sync. now maybe its just me but most people who have used live for a while no that it works better with out using rewire anyway, you have better control over the clips, instead of rewireing loops into live. and midi snyc isn't that big of a deal for those of us who are using audio only, which is the main point of live too.]

now some of you are saying well ok ok but we knew that and its not such a big deal. bullocks! this remix software cost $29.99, what the f_ck?!!!
it even has vst capability.
now what about all this talk about software being priced so high because its hard to make at low cost. you mean your telling me that its ok to charge $399.00 for Live but you can get Remix for $30 dollars ??? its the same damn thing, made by the same damn people. even after upgrading Remix with rewire capability, midi sync, and the new live features they wouldn't charge anything close to $399.00 thats rediculous. we are being had, and at that price live should be optimized for altivec, intel and amd, not to mention atari and the commodore 64k...

before you comment look on page 11 of computer music issue #53, you will be staring at a picture of Live called (remix) with the most important live features for $29.99! :x :x

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:43 am

We already discussed this.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1240

I don't think remix would be of much use to most of us here because it cannot record audio, which is just one of its many limitations.

Why don't you buy it and report back to us.

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:38 am

Hi,

as Geraldo has written this issue was already discussed in another thread. But just to make it clear.... again the limitation of the Remix version:

- No Rewire
- No Midi Sync
- No Midi Remote
- No Audio In
- Just 1 stereo out support
- 8 Track limit
- 1 send limit
- 16 scene limit
- Just 5 effects (autofilter, chorus, compressor, eq4, simple delay)
- (No Reverb, No GrainDelay, No FilterDelay, No PingPongDelay,
- No Erosion, No Vinyl)
- Just one!! VST effect at the same time useable
- No key assignments

So I think the most important features are missed in the Remix version.
But of course you can have fun with Remix but much, much more with Live.

BTW. The idea to sell a limited small version of a product is also not a new one. I can remember that Steinberg was selling the little Brother of Cubase called Cubasis at a really low price once a while ago.

regards,
Alex

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:41 pm

Steinberg Remix is apparently only being marketed to European users. As it doesn't appear that Remix is being sold in the US at all.

If I happen to be misinformed here, someone please speak up.

I for one think that there is a market for Steinberg's Remix in the US, despite the lack of previously mentioned Full Version features of Ableton Live.