operator arrives

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamief

operator arrives

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:01 pm

Ableton Releases New Instrument: Operator

Berlin, Germany (January 20, 2005) – Ableton proudly announces the worldwide release of Operator, a powerful new software synthesizer instrument optimized for use inside Live 4, Ableton’s award-winning real-time music production platform. Operator brings an eclectic spectrum of sonic possibilities and musical inspiration to Ableton Live users. True to Ableton’s philosophy, Operator invites creativity through the fusion of depth and usability, allowing even the most complex sounds to be created quickly. Whether you long for evolving synthetic textures, rich expressive leads, gritty percussion, rhythmic atmospheres or anything in between, Operator has the cure.

Describing the vision and research behind Operator, Ableton conceptualist Robert Henke explains, “Our aim was to create a truly unique and inspiring instrument that combined the sonic richness and character of hardware synthesizers with the power of Ableton Live. By integrating Operator with Live, we were able to give users the flexibility and power of clip envelopes, hands-on control and zero latency. More importantly, Operator sounds amazing!”

Easy to Operate. Like Live, Operator’s design is geared toward promoting creativity and maximizing workflow efficiency. A set of highly varied and musical presets, sorted by category, is provided for quick access to Operator’s sonic spectrum. At the next level, two intuitive macro controls called “Time” and “Tone” can be used to modify the overall characteristics of the sound, handling complex operations through a single action. The most essential parameters of Operator’s synthesis engine are individually represented on the front panel. Musicians who enjoy detailed sonic surgery can use Operator’s central display to access the instrument’s graphic envelope editors and other advanced controls.

Hearing is believing. The core of Operator’s voice architecture consists of four oscillators and a resonant multimode filter. This setup allows for both subtractive and frequency modulation (FM) synthesis. In addition to a wide selection of sine waveforms, which faithfully emulate the aliasing artifacts of classic hardware FM synthesizers, each of Operator’s oscillators can also generate “virtual analog” synthesis waveforms such as saw, square, triangle and noise. Each oscillator can either deliver audio signals to the output or modulate other oscillators. To allow further dissection of your sound, Operator’s filter section, LFO and pitch envelope add great flexibility and expressive modulation possibilities.

Integration. Following Live's refreshing design philosophy, Operator is powerful without demanding screen real estate. Every parameter of Operator can be automated or remote-controlled via MIDI, allowing you to get completely hands on. Parameters can also be controlled via Live's clip envelopes.

Learn to Operate. To learn Operator is to love it. Operator includes several integrated lessons, complete with screenshots and sound examples, so that you can quickly discover the power of Operator’s flexible sound design ability. The Operator lessons even take you through creating a variety of sounds from scratch. Each lesson is accessible via the Live 4 Help menu.

Operator Pricing and Availability. To purchase or try Operator, simply download the 4.1 update of Live from the Ableton website www.ableton.com. An activation code for Operator can be purchased online for 129 Euro 149 USD.

About Live. Live is the only music-production solution that allows you to spontaneously compose, record, remix, improvise and edit your musical ideas. Live brings your acoustic, electronic and virtual instruments, as well as your digital audio recordings, together in a single interface with unparalleled ease of use. In the end, Live lets you focus on what really matters: your music.

About Ableton. Ableton develops modern software technology to inspire creative people. Since the company started in 1999, more than thirty-five developers and business professionals have joined Ableton – many of them active musicians or DJs. The company has received outstanding press and customer feedback since the unveiling of Live in October 2001.?
For more information, contact:
Dave Hill Jr., Public Media
Ableton AG
32-36 42nd Street
Astoria, NY 11103
718-267-0519
press@ableton.com
www.ableton.com

Claudia Weidner, Public Relations
Ableton
Schönhauser Allee 6/7
10119 Berlin, Germany
ph: +49-(0)30 288763-211
fax: +49-(0)30 288763-11
press@ableton.com
www.ableton.com

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:07 pm

Tad Expensive. :cry:

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:10 pm

Amberience wrote:Tad Expensive. :cry:

Ditto.

Feh. I already have PLENTY of synths... :roll:
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

unklmic

Post by unklmic » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:11 pm

After all the hype - I kinda feel a bit disappointed...

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:13 pm

unklmic wrote:After all the hype - I kinda feel a bit disappointed...
Ditto. I already have PLENTY of synths...

Releasing another synth is like posting the same reply twice... 8O
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:16 pm

kabuki wrote:Releasing another synth is like posting the same reply twice... 8O
Agreed.

BTW, Releasing another synth is like posting the same reply twice... 8O
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:16 pm

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:17 pm

Yeah, without seeing and hearing it, hard to comment for certain, but this is a little bit.... underwhelming. Expensive too IMO.....

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:18 pm

I feel a little indifferent. Wouldn't say disapointed, but definitely uninterested.

kmo

Post by kmo » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:21 pm

Any screenshots?
MacBook Pro - OS X 10.4 - 2GHz Intel - 2GB RAM - MOTU Ultralite - Kontrol49 - Remote 49 - Moog Voyager

ekko

Post by ekko » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:24 pm

distraub

Post by distraub » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:27 pm

4.1 upgrade?
Hopefully this will be a free upgrade..
WinXP 3GB RAM
Motu Traveler
Live 8.1

ekko

Post by ekko » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:30 pm

distraub wrote:4.1 upgrade?
Hopefully this will be a free upgrade..
About 4 months ago I paid $129 for the 4.0 upgrade. Damn straight this one better be free.

ashley_k

Post by ashley_k » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:39 pm

129 Euro 149 USD

operator… operator… you’ve given me the wrong number…

and all I keep getting is a synth noise, at the end of the line…

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:39 pm

agreed.

I would have preferred a better sampler to rival kontakt than this.

Unless of course it sounds amazing. But I'm getting more and more bored of soft synths. Always end up going back to samples or my hardware.

Is there a demo yet?