Belkin Nostromo n-52 Speedpad .. unreal!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
supster

Belkin Nostromo n-52 Speedpad .. unreal!

Post by supster » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:17 am

Just bought a Nostromo n-52 Speedpad the other day:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=157024

This thing is unreal as a Live controller. It was designed as a game controller for right handed players: a way to consolodate keystroke macros under your hand with minimum movement.

It has excellent profile sofware to easily record any keystrokes or combos as a macro. SO it totally overcomes the lack of custom keyboard mappings in live.

ie. map all CTRL or MAC key combintions ... any length .. to single keys. And you can cycle thru 4 whole keysets with a press of a button .. any button .. totally configurable.

So Ive set up one map for basic production, another to quickly flip open / close windows, another for playing live, and another for triggering individual clips in a matrix I have set up in session.

Best thing is its based on keystrokes, not MIDI. SO it is simple, reliable, no complictated routings.

This thing ownzz me. Ive had it for 4 days and its the best controller for this Ive seen

40.00 at CompUSA 8O
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:26 am

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:32 am

THanks, looks very good ... perfect for quickly scrolling through scenes etc. ... is it easy to navigate a live set with this thing?

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:46 am

Extremely easy.

Set the X-Y thumbpad to your arrow keys. Bam. Use your thumb to quickly scroll all around your set horizontal / vertically.

Configure one key for Enter. Then as long as one clip is higlighted, you can scroll around anywhere efficiently and enter on any individual clip you want to.

Set other keys to global scene controls. Even Capture/Insert scene ... etc.

You can pretty much get rid of the mouse in your right hand with this.
--

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:01 pm

Cool

another question:

Would this thing be more useable and flexible than something like the faderfox LV1 (the one with scene buttons)?

I have a BCR-2000, which is great for tweaking, just need something to help with scene navigation + clip start/stop.

Cheers!

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:48 pm

I've heard about this "controller" before. But thanks to your heads-up I got around to ordering one. Seems like the deal! :D

Waiting to purchase a BCR2000 - should make a smooth combo!

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:01 pm

i'm glad to hear that this thing rocks. i was looking at this a while ago but i had forgotten all about it, i'll be picking one up soon. thanks for the info!

k

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:22 pm

elemental wrote:Cool

another question:

Would this thing be more useable and flexible than something like the faderfox LV1 (the one with scene buttons)?

I have a BCR-2000, which is great for tweaking, just need something to help with scene navigation + clip start/stop.

Cheers!

Well, can't say. The faderfox units are awfully nice. Unfortunately they arent available in the US and he couldnt give me an estimate as to when they would be.

Also, they are at least $200.00 USD? This is $40.00. Or less :)

It is very solid, well engineered, ergonomic. Sofware is INTUITIVE EASY TO USE AND FLEXIBLE (HUGE props for that.)

And imo equally as sexy and cool looking as the 'fox'

Google "Belkin Nostromo n-52" reviews. Almost everyone who bought this gave it a perfect 10. As evidence it is catching on, it is out of stock
on the Belkin website.

Lo-Fi ... trust me: as a Live user, you will find about 100 uses for this in your left hand. Best bang for the buck ever.

(unfortunately left handed users will have a problem using it to the fullest)
--

nolus

Post by nolus » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:36 pm

Also available in the UK for around £29 inc. vat.

I'll definately get one of these.

Check out the review on toms hardware guide
http://www4.tomshardware.com/game/20040 ... in-01.html
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

mindlobster

nostromo

Post by mindlobster » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:31 pm

it's nice...I saw it in MacWorld(?), me want one too! Thanks for the info! I use a UC33, but don't always want to carry it around. At the moment I use a PowerMate as my 'minimal' controller, that's nice too.
Download the new ep 'the hardest working helmet in show business' from www.after-dinner.net/releases

supster

Re: nostromo

Post by supster » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:35 pm

mindlobster wrote:it's nice...I saw it in MacWorld(?), me want one too! Thanks for the info! I use a UC33, but don't always want to carry it around. At the moment I use a PowerMate as my 'minimal' controller, that's nice too.
Yeah it won some Mac magazine editors choice apparently, saw it on the box. So it is 100% Mac capable as well.
--

mindlobster

nostromo

Post by mindlobster » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:18 am

Damn! I just got paid too...impulse control issues coming up!
Download the new ep 'the hardest working helmet in show business' from www.after-dinner.net/releases

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:13 am

It arrived! :D

I've set up a profile for use with Live. Normal, Red & Green shifts are primarily for trigging, FX on/off and so forth. Blue shift is for editing purposes - quick keys for copy, cut, paste, duplictate, zooming, quantizing... Use the wheel to jump between shifts.

Those who'd like can download it here.

Enjoy!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:21 am

lo-fi, where did you order this? Is it readily available anywhere?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:59 pm

Machinate wrote:lo-fi, where did you order this? Is it readily available anywhere?
I got it from pcaction.se in Lidköping for 300 kronor. Don't know if they ship to Denmark, though.

It should be available in Denmark, don't you think?