Its in our hands (Pink truth)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
loren!

Its in our hands (Pink truth)

Post by loren! » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:25 pm

EVERYONE has to find a copy of "Its in our hands (soft pink truth mix)" by Bjork. This is way different from her other stuff.

Who mixed it? and how did they do it? Think of the time it must have taken editing. Or are there some effects that'll make all those little cuts for you?

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:53 pm

soft pink truth is one of the guys from matmos, i think.

-lm
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:17 pm

correct, soft pink truth is drew daniel from matmos
iBook G4 1Ghz w 768 mB RAM, internal Audio
OS 10.4.1

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:36 pm

if you are talking about the nice stuff they do with her vocals near the end of the song that seems to morph from short percussive hits to nearly intelligable vocals and back really noticable starting near 3:53 this kinda of stuff is very easy to do in live 4. You need to learn two different techniquest then experiment with combining them.

1. very fast chopping, think 64th note and faster - find a god midigate plugin (i think dfx at smartelectronix.com have one) or use clip envlopes (for volume) and zoom way in and keep shrinking your grid size down.
I prefer a midi gate because you can program in a rhythm to your super fast micro gating more easier imo.

For starters though just load a clip and use a clip envelope for volume to turn the track on and off at like 1/64 notes (keep zooming and cmd/ctrl1'ing til you get there). Listen to the results of that.

If you have vespertine you have heard midigating on her vocals before.

2. freeze/stutter-scrolling through a sample - simpler makes this very easy and midi controllable. Thank good for simpler, I was going to buy kontakt just to be able to do this trick before.

Load any sample that is longer than a 1 shot hit, load a loop of something into simpler.

Make it loop (either hold down a midi key or sequence it)

while it is looping change the "length" on the simpler way down to like <5% go as small as you like.

once the very short segement of the loop is looping move the "start" knob around. notice how you can know scroll through a small loop within the sample at any rate you like? notice how you can make that small loop smaller with the length knob.

You can even scroll through the sample in reverse.

it really helps to have some midi knobs for this so you can move both at the same time.

3. simply experiment with both methods and combine them. have fun.
Last edited by ejectorset on Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:40 pm

neat, thanks for the tip.

I am going to go try that now as a matter of fact.

8)

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:49 pm

another variation can be heard on a remix I did of a song for a friend here:
http://www.loudsites.com/origami/clips.html

check out the morning show

the second half of it has something like that applied to vocals however I did it all in reason. if you like the way that one sounds I can let you know that technique, you can easily do it in live 4 using clip envelopes as well.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:02 pm

ejectorset wrote:another variation can be heard on a remix I did of a song for a friend here:
http://www.loudsites.com/origami/clips.html

check out the morning show

the second half of it has something like that applied to vocals however I did it all in reason. if you like the way that one sounds I can let you know that technique, you can easily do it in live 4 using clip envelopes as well.
Nice track. Yes, please do share the technique!

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:06 pm

also, in addition to my above tip, I should point out that if you are doing this to a 4 bar vocal clip and using clip envelopes, you don't have to draw in a bazillion things with the pencil tool. just un-link the envlope from the clip and shorten it down to like a 1/16th note. just make the stutter pattern in that and it will loop your shutter pattern while your longer clip plays.

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:13 pm

well in reason I sync'd the lfo on the nn19 that had the vocal going (actually 2 nn19's one for each line of the vocal)

anyways sync'd lfo set to square wav controlling the pan.

this effectively does the strobe thing, but the volume does not complety cut off, instead it pans very fast (really nice in headphones)

one of the nn19 was set to a faster rate then the other and on one the amount was all the way for full left to full right panning and on one it was set to less for less effect and to help keep the 2 lines out of each others space where they overlapped.

at the very very end of the song i used the technique I already posted for sample start position scrolling, but in reason you can't set the loop length so instead of it looping I hit it with a very fast series of note ons. like 1/64th - 1/256th in speed.

anyways, to do the pan strobe thing in live 4 you simply use the clip envelope for pan and the pencil tool, the grid and remember to zoom in if you want faster than 1/16th notes. if you want variation just don't go all the way up and down (hard left/hard right) on the envelope. this way you can actually crescendo the amount of the panning of the techique over time.