AUDIO DROP OUTS!! HELP!!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
vince watson

AUDIO DROP OUTS!! HELP!!

Post by vince watson » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:16 pm

running G4 powerbook 17" 1,5gz and 2gb ram. im getting audio dissapearing from me for miliseconds at a time when scene's launch. im not using any vst's or any plug ins for that matter...oonly cut up samples of my own tracks. its a random occurance as when i recorded a set and played it back the dropouts are at different places...but still when scenes launch.

ableton 4.0.4 is what im using with panther 3.5

Can anyone help??..i got a whole series of live gigs in the next 3 months...!!!

cheeeeers
V

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:39 pm

increase the buffer to max.

vince watson

Post by vince watson » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:41 pm

yo, i have just tried that.....still the same problem....

buffer size up to 2048 samples.....total latency is up to 407ms...

??? h e l p ???

:((

sniffio

you are not alone

Post by sniffio » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:49 am

I'm having the same shit here, man.
Using the 15' cpu1.5 2GB with 10.3.5.
My audio I/O is Motu 828mk2.

That random dropouts are killing me, too.
That thing cannot happen on our stage !

it's not the buffer, and it's not your firewire bus problem.
and it's not your hard disk rpm.
I used the 7200rpm HD using really short loops.
Still shit happens.

The best chance is either the Live4 or the I/O.(maybe the core audio)
I read at the APPLE's site and saw the tech support.
There was couple of things that could be import to us.

+ install the I sight 1.0.2 updater to prevent the Firewire trouble using multipul firewire drivers.

+ install the ipod updater to make the 4pin firewire bus "better"

+remove the isight audio plugin's from the mac.
This might really work.it's located here.

Hard Disk>Library>Audio>Plugins>HAL>iSightAudio.plugin
remove the damn thing !

I have a gig waiting in December, and this is the only pain in ass that has got to be terminated.
I heard the Windows user didn't have this problem.
Now, I'm jealous.

Abelton was unable to help.

If you find out anything to prevent this, please let me know my friend.
And good luck with your music

pseudonyme

open up console!

Post by pseudonyme » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:25 am

hi,

open up the console in your applications->tools folder (in german dienstprogramme, don't know the english one) and have a look at your system log!

if you have entries containing something like

Sep 27 00:47:29 okcomputer kernel: IOAudioStream[0x1ad3800]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (fe,33aa)->(101,432).
Sep 27 00:47:29 okcomputer kernel: IOAudioStream[0x1ad3800]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (100,33aa)

can you post your logfile (a small part of it) please?

then you have EXACTLY the same problem like me 8O

look at the timestamp of the entries: exactly when the dropout occurs.

I'd really like to have an official answer from the ableton staff concerning this problem

I also use a Motu 828 mk2, but a slower Powerbook DVI 800... sorry to say that it is interesting to hear you have the same problem with the newest model, which i thought about to buy...

thanx,
good luck,
alex

vince watson

problem solved!!!!

Post by vince watson » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:53 am

well it seems i have no problems anymore.....thanks to adam jay for his superb help on this one....

here's what i did... :D :D :D :D

turned screen to NEVER sleep. also HD to NEVER sleep.
Turned energy saver to MAX PERFORMANCE
Turned ALL my clips OFF from Hi Q. (that seems to be what was the main problem) as this is only effective with clips that have been transposed, which none of mine were......the Ableton manuals/tutorials/whatever dont tell you this!!!
Increased buffer size to MAX.

works like a dream......perfect and the way my PB should be running it.

im well aware that im not using a lot of plugins so this info may not be any use to the peeps that are, since i only needed help for my problem...

good luck, for sure ableton need to get a grip of this one fast....too many poeple are talking about it now......

pseudonyme

just curious...

Post by pseudonyme » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:36 am

hi vince,

glad to hear that :-)

i cannot max out latency, because i have three more 'real live playing' musicians in my set that don't like latency...

i also have all energy settings OFF as you said, but didn't find out whether the 'switching off hi Q mode' thing could help for me. will do that!

have you got an older log file? can you find those entries with IOAudioStream and stuff?

kind regards,
alex

roland

Post by roland » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:12 pm

It´s the same for me. I too can´t max the buffer size as I have to react to my band´s and my own live instruments playing. Except for some hardware instruments I use instruments from reason via Rewire. Of course a latency beyond 10ms is unacceptable for that.

I had no probs with Live 3.x, but experienced some unpleasant dropouts and timeshifts on stage with Live 4.

My logfile presented following. But I had more often problems than this one time. So this can´t be the reason for the overall problem with Live 4.

Oct 28 23:38:05 localhost kernel: IOAudioStream[0x148cc00]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (416c9,219)->(416ce,69).
Oct 28 23:38:05 localhost kernel: IOAudioStream[0x148cc00]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (416cd,219)
Oct 28 23:38:05 localhost kernel: IOAudioStream[0x148c200]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (416c9,219)->(416ce,69).
Oct 28 23:38:05 localhost kernel: IOAudioStream[0x148c200]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (416cd,219)[i][/i]

My computer setup: PB G4 867, 512 MB RAM, LIVE 4, REASON 2.5, Novation Remote 25 and MOTU 828 MK 1

vince watson

Re: just curious...

Post by vince watson » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:29 pm

pseudonyme wrote:hi vince,

glad to hear that :-)

i cannot max out latency, because i have three more 'real live playing' musicians in my set that don't like latency...

i also have all energy settings OFF as you said, but didn't find out whether the 'switching off hi Q mode' thing could help for me. will do that!

have you got an older log file? can you find those entries with IOAudioStream and stuff?

kind regards,
alex

m....will get em later...im having too much fun now that its working hehe

the ableton is not on this computer so ill check it out alex..

thanks

sniffio

come on

Post by sniffio » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:24 pm

will check the log.
PLZ read the thread with the same topic.
I posted some related issues concidering to update
the isight and the ipod to make the firewires "better"

it's got to be either the 828mk2
or the Live4.0.4.
I am not going over 2mms.
OH NO I'M NOT

I'm a musician

Stefan Haller

Re: open up console!

Post by Stefan Haller » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:52 pm

pseudonyme wrote:Sep 27 00:47:29 okcomputer kernel: IOAudioStream[0x1ad3800]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (fe,33aa)->(101,432).
Sep 27 00:47:29 okcomputer kernel: IOAudioStream[0x1ad3800]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (100,33aa)
Now there's some useful information at last.

Those log entries have a time stamp at the beginning. Can you see if this happened at the same time as when you heard a drop-out? You probably won't remember now, but next time it happens, please note the time and look in the log if there's an entry with that time.

Also, are you getting a lot of those entries, or only occasionally? The folks on the CoreAudio mailing list say that these log entries are usually harmless (unless there are lots of them); they could for example happen when you start another host application.

Please be assured that we take these issues very seriously. However, this is the kind of bug that is extremely frustrating for us to debug, unless we have a reproducible recipe how to make it happen; so we need as many details as you can give us to get a clue what might be going on.
Stefan Haller
haller@ableton.com

Ralf

Re: open up console!

Post by Ralf » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:02 pm

Stefan Haller wrote:
pseudonyme wrote:Sep 27 00:47:29 okcomputer kernel: IOAudioStream[0x1ad3800]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (fe,33aa)->(101,432).
Those log entries have a time stamp at the beginning. Can you see if this happened at the same time as when you heard a drop-out?
Stefan, we got definitive information that the drop-outs occur at exactly
the same time as the console messages. The log comes from the MacOSX
kernel, indicating that two audio streams which are to be mixed
are out-of-sync (buffer-overrun, I'd say).
We are trying to reproduce the problem.

Yours,
Ralf
Ralf Suckow
suckow@ableton.com