recording automation to clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:23 am

Hmm, still a lot of work it seems.

Forge, let us know if you can get it working.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:35 am

elt.net wrote:you need pluggo runtime.

you can open the automation (.als file) to figure out how it works.

the principe is quite simple.
assign the midi controllers (ex: faderfox LV1) to ctrl of the plugin by "midi edit map".

and then assign the controllers of the plugin to what you want in live (volume, pan, etc).
doing this is simple too: in midi edit mode just clic the parameter you want to control (as usual) and select a number in the "controls" area of the plugin. (you can also move a slider but becareful because it will erase assignation of the plugin himself.)
you can do that for each layer.
for example you can have one fader of your LV1 controlling on track 1 "volume" on layer 1, "pan" on layer 2, "send A" on layer 3, etc.

your midi device controls live parameters via the plugin.

i hope it's clearer for the controlling (remote) part.

for the recording/playing (automation) part, you need 2 IAC midi buses.
i don't know what is it for PC, i suppose yoke or something like that.
it can work with only one but in that case you can't interrupt automation manually.
it's why i made 2 tracks: one fro remote, one for automation playing two different midi buses.
ok I think I'm starting to gt you - you mean each layer is like a separate bank of controls - so for example layer 1 can control 1 (actually 2) bank of macros on a rack, then you can choose which ones using the increment and decrement

is there any way to choose a layer directly?

so basically we can control 999 lots of 16 controls at once!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O

awesome - in fact this really will sort out this problem: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88822

but the thing I want most now is a way to select the layers directly rather than scrolling through - can that be done?

thanks!

and putting it in a rack and mapping the macros works so we can automap it

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:40 am

what is the 'master' control for? - I dont think it is working properly - if I map master to the master fader on my UC33e it does something weird that also affects other controls - like jumps really quickly - I might do a screen capture to show you

elt.net

Post by elt.net » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:47 am

forge wrote:is there any way to choose a layer directly?
ha yes i have to think about it...
but for now just i navigate quickly between layers.
forge wrote:and putting it in a rack and mapping the macros works so we can automap it?
?? i don't understand this.

forge wrote:what is the 'master' control for?
it's just something i needed to move all the slider at the sae time.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:56 am

elt.net wrote:
forge wrote:is there any way to choose a layer directly?
ha yes i have to think about it...
but for now just i navigate quickly between layers.
cool! I look forward to the update!
elt.net wrote:
forge wrote:and putting it in a rack and mapping the macros works so we can automap it?
?? i don't understand this.
it's okay I edited that after I posted when I tried it! just meaning can use Live's instant mapping to select the rack and operate your plug-in using macros - but I think after a while I'll just use your plug-in for everything!

forge wrote:what is the 'master' control for?
it's just something i needed to move all the slider at the sae time.[/quote]

Ah ok - it does something strange - do you use it with an endless rotary encoder? I tried it on the master fader, but I might leave it for now

thanks again!

8)

elt.net

Post by elt.net » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:07 am

forge wrote:do you use it with an endless rotary encoder? I tried it on the master fader, but I might leave it for now
no i use it with the crossfade fader of the LV1.
this master i a little bit tricky and work better with the UI of the plugin.

ha yes in fact it doesn't work well.
will correct it soon... :-)
Last edited by elt.net on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:08 am

ok I have a problem - this seems quite unreliable - sometimes I have to turn a knob fully then back before it reacts

also the meter doesnt work at all

did I need to do anything in Max/MSP when exporting?

I just chose the build option then chose DLL - I didnt know about any other options - just with the demo I downloaded today so it's the latest version

elt.net

Post by elt.net » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:38 am

forge wrote:ok I have a problem - this seems quite unreliable - sometimes I have to turn a knob fully then back before it reacts

also the meter doesnt work at all

did I need to do anything in Max/MSP when exporting?
I just chose the build option then chose DLL - I didnt know about any other options - just with the demo I downloaded today so it's the latest version
it becomes complicated...
i don't know max/msp for pc but i assume you did right.

maybe there is a problem with the master.
i'm trying to correct it.

elt.net

Post by elt.net » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:55 am

ok i updated.
the new version is still here:http://www.pan-etc.net/nav/dev/dev-plugin.htm

don't forget to set your midi pref like that:

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:27 pm

elt.net wrote:ok i updated.
the new version is still here:http://www.pan-etc.net/nav/dev/dev-plugin.htm

don't forget to set your midi pref like that:

thanks

what did you update?

the problem I was having was not jsut with the master - any knob would sometimes not turn the first time, I would need to turn it once then it will be okay for a while

I found it seemed to be more if they were a few apart

for example, if I try to turn 17, then the first time I have to turn it fully and back then from then on it works fine, then if I go to 18 it might pick up first time, then go through all of them one by one it's not too bad, but then if I jump to 23 I need to turn it again fully before it responds

elt.net

Post by elt.net » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:58 pm

forge wrote:what did you update?
just the master part but it is buggy with the usual process.
so maybe delete this part.
any knob would sometimes not turn the first time, I would need to turn it once then it will be okay for a while

for example, if I try to turn 17, then the first time I have to turn it fully and back then from then on it works fine, then if I go to 18 it might pick up first time, then go through all of them one by one it's not too bad, but then if I jump to 23 I need to turn it again fully before it responds
i assume you mean this in a same layer. without changing layer.
it doesn't do it here, but maybe it was because the master. this master send an uptdate of all each time you move a cursor. i'll delte it for now.
i uploaded the update.

please tell me if it works better.

anyhow, if you don't need layers you can use this technic too:http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 960#673960

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:00 pm

elt.net wrote:
forge wrote:what did you update?
just the master part but it is buggy with the usual process.
so maybe delete this part.
any knob would sometimes not turn the first time, I would need to turn it once then it will be okay for a while

i assume you mean this in a same layer. without changing layer.
it doesn't do it here, but maybe it was because the master. this master send an uptdate of all each time you move a cursor. i'll delte it for now.
i uploaded the update.

please tell me if it works better.

anyhow, if you don't need layers you can use this technic too:http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 960#673960
ok - this is weird - now it's broken! it's not even responding to the controller any more - if I move the controls on the Live plug-in GUI or on my UC33 the controls in your plug-in GUI dont move, but if I move those controls the one in the Live GUI move

elt.net

Post by elt.net » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:37 pm

weird...
i uploaded the last version working well here.

0- use the "automat_with_CtrlMiOut.als" file.
1- verify you have the correct midi preference (automat_with_CtrlMiOut-midi_pref.png).
2- the Remote track midi out has to be IAC 1 (or YOKE 1).
3- the Automation track midi out has to be IAC 2 (or YOKE 2).
4- assign your UC33 controllers to the CtrlMiOut. (Fader 1 -> Control 1, etc.)

now when you move UC33, the sliders of the CtrlMiOut GUI AND the controllers of live GUI are moving.
and also if you move the sliders of the CtrlMiOut GUI, the controllers of live GUI are moving too.

then

3- assign the parameters of Live you want to control (Volume, Pan, Send, etc) with the "Controls" panel of the CtrlMiOut GUI.

NB- if you want to use "master" you need the CtrlMiOut GUI open because Live won't update if not (i don't know why).

i hope it's ok now...

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:39 pm

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but here is a way to do it in Session View. It requires an extra midi track and cc# knowledge of the vst or rewire device, but it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGZV1C2X868
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

forge

Post by forge » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:21 am

elt.net wrote:weird...
i uploaded the last version working well here.

0- use the "automat_with_CtrlMiOut.als" file.
1- verify you have the correct midi preference (automat_with_CtrlMiOut-midi_pref.png).
2- the Remote track midi out has to be IAC 1 (or YOKE 1).
3- the Automation track midi out has to be IAC 2 (or YOKE 2).
4- assign your UC33 controllers to the CtrlMiOut. (Fader 1 -> Control 1, etc.)

now when you move UC33, the sliders of the CtrlMiOut GUI AND the controllers of live GUI are moving.
and also if you move the sliders of the CtrlMiOut GUI, the controllers of live GUI are moving too.

then

3- assign the parameters of Live you want to control (Volume, Pan, Send, etc) with the "Controls" panel of the CtrlMiOut GUI.

NB- if you want to use "master" you need the CtrlMiOut GUI open because Live won't update if not (i don't know why).

i hope it's ok now...
sorry I missed this reply - I will try it again tonight