Monitor recommendations - high quality/small size -?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:54 pm

i think you can t go wrong with the Genelec s - depending on your space get the 8020 or (which should be preferred) the 8030.
They are not only small and very good sounding, they are in my opinion also the only Monitors which are really transportable.
I have got the Adam A7, and while these have a REALLY precise sound, they are a good bit bigger, especially deeper.

stallos

Post by stallos » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:17 pm

another +1 for 8030A from Genelecs

quite simply the best thing I have ever bought
you'll be amazed at the difference in your mixes..... i was

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:49 pm

I've heard the 8020a switched back to back with the 8030a and 8040a. It was amazing how similar they all sounded. You almost couldn't tell the difference between them. If you closed your eyes it was hard to tell which model was playing. The size of the monitor is suppsoed to adhere the size of your control room. I'm going with the 8030a because it's the middle of the road. If they're slightly too large for my little control room, oh well! I'll just be indulging myself in sweet sound. I would never admit that to a Genelec rep because if they knew how small my control room is they probably would sternly insist that I buy only the 8020a! If you can swing a few extra $$$ for the 8030a then go for it. They're the best sounding of the series, but only by a fraction of a difference.

I've also heard these montiors switched back to back with the Genelec sub on and off. That was also really interesting because you couldn't really hear the difference! I mean, there was a slight sonic variation, but since the mix we were listening to was a finished professional product, there were no errors or hidden anomolies in the low end. If I had the extra $$ I would go for a sub as well, but the sub will have to wait. Plus, they don't make it in white yet. :wink:

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:57 pm

I should also mention that my favorite monitor right now is the ADAM P-11A. The sound is amazing. The trouble is that they're $2000 USD for a pair. I just can't swing that. A pair of Genelec 8030a are are around $1250 USD. Yes, that is a lot of money, but, seeing as your monitors are the only part of the recording studio that you actually get to hear, then it's worth it. Plus, with this next monitor purchase, I will likely not buy another pair of monitors for the next 5 to 10 years. If not longer.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:27 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:I've heard the 8020a switched back to back with the 8030a and 8040a. It was amazing how similar they all sounded. You almost couldn't tell the difference between them. If you closed your eyes it was hard to tell which model was playing. The size of the monitor is suppsoed to adhere the size of your control room. I'm going with the 8030a because it's the middle of the road. If they're slightly too large for my little control room, oh well! I'll just be indulging myself in sweet sound. I would never admit that to a Genelec rep because if they knew how small my control room is they probably would sternly insist that I buy only the 8020a! If you can swing a few extra $$$ for the 8030a then go for it. They're the best sounding of the series, but only by a fraction of a difference.

I've also heard these montiors switched back to back with the Genelec sub on and off. That was also really interesting because you couldn't really hear the difference! I mean, there was a slight sonic variation, but since the mix we were listening to was a finished professional product, there were no errors or hidden anomolies in the low end. If I had the extra $$ I would go for a sub as well, but the sub will have to wait. Plus, they don't make it in white yet. :wink:
this is exactly the amazing thing about the genelec 8000 series, they are all absolut exactly the same regarding sound, the only difference is the bigger ones go slightly deeper and can produce higher volume levels... you don't find this in any other monitor series.
*** Image GAFM ***

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Ordered the Genelec 8030A.

Did a lot of test listening comparing the 8030, 8020, Dynaudio BM5A. The 8020 were great for their small size, but the 8030 will still fit comfortably on my desk and the deeper bass extension was noticeable. There was a huge difference between the 8030 and the BM5A - I was surprised. The BM5A were closer to hifi louderspeakers, I felt: still very neutral and clear, but the sound seemed to be much larger than the speaker cabinet. If I had more distance between me and the speakers, I think I would've preferred these. The 8030 were more "in your face" and ruthlessly revealing, and this stayed true even right down to very low volumes and sitting very close to the speaker - exactly what I wanted. The 8030 and 8020 did, however, sound much more like I expected studio monitors to sound like: the sound very directional and very much constrained to the cabinet.

Took a look at the Adam A7, but they were just too large for my desk.

Test tracks: Justice - Phantom Pt II, Ellen Allien & Apparat - Do Not Break, Orbital - PETROL, Spiritualized - Electric Mainline live, Radiohead - Paranoid Android

Overall, and especially on the more guitar-driven tracks, the BM5A sounded much more, how can I describe it... mature. Smoother and more controlled, but for that reason a little less involved than the 8030. The 8030 were telling me to pay attention, now, without being overly harsh or fatiguing.

So, the 8030 are ordered with the shop and am really looking forward to trying them at home soon.

Thanks for all your constructive advice - I felt a lot more informed going into the test session.

Cheers!
MBP-Live7-Oxygen8-Ultralite-UC33e-WaldorfPulse

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:37 pm

Just got them running at home - they sound amazing, even before adjusting the tone controls for the room. Ok, now I've really zero excuses for rubbish tracks :)
MBP-Live7-Oxygen8-Ultralite-UC33e-WaldorfPulse

cavern

Post by cavern » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:16 pm

thelike5 wrote:I'll recommend the KRK rockit 5"

It's a nice sounding monitor at a very low cost, $199. Even if you don't buy them you should at least give them a listen. For the cost of the Dynaaudios you can pick these up and cross some other gear lust item of your list.
Yup.

massiveheadpain

Post by massiveheadpain » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:23 pm

adam audio anf10 or A7

telekom

Post by telekom » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:17 am

Congratulations substanceg :)

I was gonna recommend the KRK5s as well - I'm really happy with mine. But when I bought them I knew i couldn't afford the Genelecs... so I think you have made a wise choice. The KRKs are still great, but I think you will be happy with the Genelecs... :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:49 am

Between comparably priced/sized M-Audio, Yamaha, and KRK, I chose the KRK.
My $.02. :)

marzio

Post by marzio » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:03 am

genelec 8020 or 8030 :wink:

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:13 am

Dynaudio monitors, in addition to sounding great, generate less ear fatigue when used over long periods of time than many other monitors. Something to consider.

mauve

Post by mauve » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:22 am

KRK VXT4 is one of the best sounding small monitors out there. Clear and clean.
When testing them against othe monitors, KRK V4 sounded like garbage compared to VXT4.
KRK rockit 5 is even crappier.
I am going for VTX4

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 am

I'm appreciating this thread, hopefully I'll get off my butt and put in an order for a pair of 8030s. the 8020s are probably more my size but the Events I've had for 10 years have been too small, time to go a bit big.

good info McDude, glad you're around.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz