Replace Impulse sample while auditioning the result

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Suade

Replace Impulse sample while auditioning the result

Post by Suade » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:03 pm

I would like to have the ability to replace samples in Impulse while the pattern is playing. The idea is that you would select a sample to be replaced and then when you select another sample in the browser you get to hear your music with the new drum sample actually playing the pattern you've written in the context of the music you're working on.

I use this feature all the time in NI's Battery and I'd love to see it implemented for Impulse as well. I imagine the interface could be done quite simply by copying the effects preset orange button. One click on an Impulse samples orange button and then any sample selected in the browser is instantly used as a replacement.

This could work well in Simpler also...

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:45 pm

Isn't this pretty much what the hot-swap buttons do?

Suade

Post by Suade » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks Longjohns

You're absolutely right. As a Live 5 user I didn't know that this had already been implemented in Live 6. Now I have an even better reason to upgrade.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:33 pm

longjohns wrote:Isn't this pretty much what the hot-swap buttons do?
it is..

but I love to see a hot-swap-not-loading option

so you press the hot swap button,
if you then SELECT the sample (not double click/loading) you would hear it real time playing in the song,
but it isn't loaded in the Impulse slot yet..

double click the sample will load it..

this would be even more convenient..

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Yes, that would be really nice
+1

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:46 am

instead of doubleclicking i do this with return and arrow keys. much faster.

powersongs

Hotswap option does not work.

Post by powersongs » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:14 am

Well considering the whole idea of the Hotswap feature is simply to audition a new preset without committing the change, it should already do this. Otherwise, if you have to double-click or press Return on a preset it commits the change no matter if you have the Hotswap option enabled or not. So if it does this regardless of the Hotswap being enable or not, it basically says the Hotswap option has no function.

I'm currently enrolled in Berklee's Producing with Ableton Live course and it teaches that the Hotswap's purpose is to allow auditioning without committing. Same goes for the Live lessons which teach the same thing. But again, this does not work.

Please someone from Ableton, acknowledge this bug and get it fixed or remove the pseudo feature. This has apparently been a long running bug as I've see it dating back to 2004 in this forum!

Poster

Re: Hotswap option does not work.

Post by Poster » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:17 am

powersongs wrote:... it basically says the Hotswap option has no function...
the only purpose of the current hotswap feature is to bring you to the last loaded sample or preset..

so that makes it indeed a sort of 'pseudo' hotswap..

what it actually should do is (temp)loading the new selected sample or preset IN the instrument without commiting to it..
This way you can actually hear if the sample or preset fits in the song or not..

The return key should then make the choice of the sample or preset definite..
If not pressed, it should leave the instrument unchanged..