Sampler Vs. Kontakt...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gnapier

Sampler Vs. Kontakt...

Post by gnapier » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:25 am

...any opinions? I use Kontakt (albeit only lightly) and it is a deep mofo....find myself spending alot of time wrapping my head around it again and again if I hadn't used it in a while....

how do folks find sampler? imports kontakt format ok? cpu friendly?

thx,
gn

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:28 am

sorry to sound like a broken record, but if you own kontakt, keep it, use it, and get the tutorial dvd. it will give you all the info you need to use it in an easy way. kontakt rocks. not to knock sampler cause i do not know, but i do know kontakt is sweet.

gnapier

Post by gnapier » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:27 am

D DAS wrote:sorry to sound like a broken record, but if you own kontakt, keep it, use it, and get the tutorial dvd. it will give you all the info you need to use it in an easy way. kontakt rocks. not to knock sampler cause i do not know, but i do know kontakt is sweet.
In order: I intend to, I do, and I've got it. But it still is "a bit much" at times....was just wondering if anyone who has experience with both might share some views on the subject.

Thanks.
GN

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:34 am

The fight went something like this:

round 1:

kontakt towers over sampler with an intimidating stare. sampler smirks defiantly up at kontakt from about it's waist.
kontakt wastes no time and delivers a stunning one-two combo of per zone group editing, and a suite of bundled effects, including convolution reverb! However after the convolution reverb, kontakt is momentarily quite tired, as it's very draining. Perhaps he should have saved that for later. Just then a bunch of ableton live effects spring out from the bleachers and knock kontakt away from the slowly rising sampler. The bell rings and sampler regroups.

round 2:

sampler's quick off the bell, lunging into kontakt unexpectedly with a sharp fm/am oscillator, stunning kontakt quite badly! Before kontakt can react, sampler uppercuts kontakt with a morph filter! Kontakt is a bit dazed and realizes sampler means business. Sampler tries to jab kontakt with multilayer sampling, but kontakt counters with multi-outputs, knocking sampler back, and the two suddenly get tied up and lock arms, visibly exhausted. Ableton Live racks, acting as referee, breaks up the grapple. Just then the bell rings.

round 3:

Kontakt knows it has to pull off a big move. Thinking completely irrationally, it decides to go for stability. But sampler is far more stable as it's integrated in Live, and ducks clear out of the way as kontakt loses balance! But just as sampler feels it might be getting the upper hand, kontakt recovers, spins and slams sampler with the mighty script processor! sampler doesn't know what hit it! Frantically sampler throws whatever he can at kontakt! sample playback modulation, but kontakt counters! Routable envelope and lfo's, but kontakt beats it back with an insane flurry of modularity! Out of nowhere, coming to the aid of sampler, is little simpler, slamming kontakt in the back with simpler=> sampler conversions! All hell starts to break lose! kontakt turns and blasts simpler with it's proprietary instrument library! but as he does so, sampler gets up on the top ropes, and just as kontakt turns back, sampler crashes into kontakt with a retail price which is less than half of kontakt! The bell rings, but the fight continues! kontakt is jabbing at sampler with it's own racking and mixer, at which point the ableton racks referee gets involved, pushing back kontakt, but now all bets are off! The covert operators have jumped the ropes, beating on kontakt, but it's not going down! Suddenly all kinds of third-party libraries have charged the ring, like exs24 instruments, mostly defending kontakt because they import better in that than in sampler. But now robert henke and various peripheral devices like the remote SL are in there, and it's a royal rumble! Crushing blows are going everywhere!

Sampler keeps throwing FM haymakers with morph filter dropkicks, and kontakt keeps pulling out multi-outs, scripts, and never-ending modulations!.....

...and the fight goes on....... and on........ and on........and on........
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Shark Jumper.

gnapier

Post by gnapier » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:54 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:The fight would go something like this:

<SNIP>

glitchrock-buddha: THAT WAS E X C E L L E N T !!!!! :-)

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:28 am

dam that was great! Geez im a geek 8O

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:28 am

I have Kontact, if I didn't I might go with Sampler, if Live was my only DAW. As it stands I switch between DAWs a bit, so Kontact wins. Kontact has way more features, the only real advantage of Sampler is ease of use and that the samples should save with your project, making it easier to archive old songs etc.

ernene

Post by ernene » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:06 am

round 1:

kontakt towers over sampler with an intimidating stare. sampler smirks defiantly up at kontakt from about it's waist.
... The covert operators have jumped the ropes, beating on kontakt, but it's not going down! Suddenly all kinds of third-party libraries have charged the ring, like exs24 instruments, mostly defending kontakt because they import better in that than in sampler. But now robert henke and various peripheral devices like the remote SL are in there, and it's a royal rumble! Crushing blows are going everywhere!

Sampler keeps throwing FM haymakers with morph filter dropkicks, and kontakt keeps pulling out multi-outs, scripts, and never-ending modulations!.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

loved that :!:

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:12 am

It's a tough one...

I decided to get the sampler and run it alongside kontact 2 for a while...
I can then see which one I find I am using when making tunes...

I think it is a bit too early to really be objective, it's always great to get a new toy which can cloud the judgement...

So far though I have a feeling that If i am working with drums I may still want to use Kontact 2, but if i am looking for creating a new sound then I would start with sampler and see where that took me..

I'll let you know how it goes over the next few weeks...

cheers

Ashton

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:17 am

nice one and thanks GRB,

i have Kontakt 1 and 2 and use mainly 1, don't need all the new Kontakt 2 features, really. and Kontakt 1 is stable in my case and does all i need. [2 gives me a crash headache] the only thing about Kontakt 1 that bugs me is that you cant scroll or jump via keys through the browser.

if you have already Kontakt, i say stick to it. if you make a new purchse, i have not used sampler intensively enough during the beta test to propperly compare them.

but i believe that GRB said it all.
Last edited by SubFunk on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

shotsi673

Post by shotsi673 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:58 am

Machinesworking wrote:I have Kontact, if I didn't I might go with Sampler, if Live was my only DAW. As it stands I switch between DAWs a bit, so Kontact wins. Kontact has way more features, the only real advantage of Sampler is ease of use and that the samples should save with your project, making it easier to archive old songs etc.
I have Kontakt 1.5 and I'm selling it. Sampler is all I need due mainly to the fact that I don't need all the features that Kontakt has on offer. Anything that makes the process easier and less jump over hurdles like is what I want.
Anyone interested in buying Kontakt 1.5 should get it now because the Universal binary model is FREE to people who upgrade from now until the release of the binary.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... %3AIT&rd=1
iMaci7, Logic Pro & Live 9 Focal CMS65 &Softube Console 1 Mkii

oldbetseysatan

Post by oldbetseysatan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:01 pm

That has GOT to be the best 'Is your cup half-full' review I have EVER seen.

As perfectly stated as Glitch could make it, YOU have to decide.

This goes down to the judges and you have to make that judgement.

Glitch, I commend you.

That had to be one of the most exciting and in-depth comparisons (leaving what's 'better' aside) I've read on ANYTHING in years!

R.
A 'live' musician struggling with technology...

10.5.8, Pro Tools 8.0, Logic 9.0.2, Reason 3.05, Live 8.0.9.

Old Betsey Satan - The Flower Shop 8 Track. "She fought long and she fought hard..."

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:16 pm

Having had the pleasure of putting my cursor on both, yet having no talent what so ever

I'd say Kontakt - only for personal reasons such as - rex import, multiple outs and you can filter zones and groups individually - plus the on board effects are second to none - and you can modulate like it's nobodies business

SAMPLER's alright though

Since I just started using LIVE 4 weeks ago, I never amassed 43 million sample libraries in 92 trillion formats so that doesn't really mean anything to me, like it does for some other people

here's a question - why didn't they just add multi layers, FM and AM modulation to SIMPLER?

Ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:17 pm

djadonis206 wrote: hears a question - why didn't they just add multi layers, FM and AM modulation to SIMPLER?

Ad
Cause if they did that and added internal midi modulation routing they couldn't charge $200 for it.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:23 pm

pulsoc wrote:
djadonis206 wrote: hears a question - why didn't they just add multi layers, FM and AM modulation to SIMPLER?

Ad
Cause if they did that and added internal midi modulation routing they couldn't charge $200 for it.
Yeah, they can make the Electronic Instruments Collection for SIMPLER which is multi sampled right?

So it can be done - but they don't let the end user do it?

What's up with that?

a $200 sampler?

uh OH - I'm boust to speak my mind:

Something about that is not very kewl.

Ok, so here's the next question - if SAMPLER was free or we got a upgraded version of SIMPLER - would I use them? The answer is...yes. I use SIMPLER for just about everything - expand on that and I'm off and running

peace
Ableton | Elektron

Music