DJ features

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
theo

DJ features

Post by theo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:08 pm

hello !

I use live both for production and djing.

Here's what I thought (sorry if this has been discussed before or if I missed it in the manual):

- it would be cool to have a "media library" for djing (look at traktor's library) to make it easy to find a track when playing live (I have litteraly hundreds of tracks on the hard drive and I guess I'm not the only one)
- if it's to complicated to had a library, the search engine in the browser should look into id3 tags.

Bye guys, keep up the goood work !

:D

theo

Post by theo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:43 pm

mmm... I'm dumb.

According to the manual, live already looks in the tags. Didn't notice that, maybe my tags are blank...

Sorry for the useless thread then! :oops:

MKS

Post by MKS » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:10 pm

I have a number of tracks that I've spent time filling in genre and adding other useful comments into the ID3 tag. In NI Traktor it's possible to browse and sort through tracks using these tags and it's something I miss in Live. Would it be possible to browse ID3 information?

I can't seem to search using the ID3 tag info - if I search on my genre "Nouveau Lounge" then I get no results even though that's a legitimate genre...

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:01 pm

Been a while since I looked at this issue, but I think it's because Live only looks at id3v1 tags and not v2. v2 tags are what you need to have nice custom genres, v1 only allows a crummy predefined list.

tylast

Post by tylast » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:16 pm

How about adding the Decode Data to the Tag MetaData? Then you'd have no more decode cache and separated files. :wink:
Last edited by tylast on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tylast

Post by tylast » Tue May 16, 2006 2:12 am

Well, here's what I'm doing for DJing with Live ~

It'd be nice if I could drag/drop a playlist from MediaMonkey onto a track & have it auto-populate all the scenes (that track & the track immediately to the right ~ alternating off course). As it is right now, I can drag/drop individual tracks from MediaMonkey onto a clip/slot in Live & it loads it! The Album Art Script is located here & the Album Art Tagger script is located here. BTW, I'm not finished tagging my tracks with the art yet.

How about an option to save the decode data in the tag file so I don't have to wait if I use my tracks on a different computer?

To make DJing with Live that much better, it would be great if Live were to read & adjust for the Replay Gain Info in the FLAC tag files during playback.
Last edited by tylast on Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pxruthlessruler

Post by pxruthlessruler » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:06 am

personally, i can't believe that the graphic element has been totally cut out. i don't know the names and/or titles of a good number of my tunes. but i know "play the blue one" etc. maybe someone needs to build some sort of add on that is independent of the app you're dj'ing with. maybe that media monkey fits the bill?

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:23 pm

I hope the abletons give us a better, visual browser with Live 6.

jonathono2000

Post by jonathono2000 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:52 pm

I just lay out every track I currently have in my "record bin" in a vertical cloumn and then copy and paste that into 4 more columns then I toggle up and down the column with a dedicated knob and use a dedicated switch to then select wether that track is set to play in the A or B slot. Most importantly the crowd never sees me touch my mouse/trackpad. They hate that for some reason.

This seems to work just fine for me, maybe this is not your answer but its mine and I couldn't be happier with it.

BTW
This way I have access to up to five simultaneous tracks and can even have the same track playing in two columns.

This lets me do cool stuff like let me attenuate the highs for a song on a track and then attenuate the lows for the same song in different track then i can apply affects to just the vocals and hats etc. beat repeat really does some sweet stuff in this scenario.

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:58 pm

Any other suggestions on this topic?