new Xone:3D brochure now online. Release date....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robtronik

new Xone:3D brochure now online. Release date....

Post by robtronik » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:19 pm

February 6th. According to Xone. 1299 UK Pounds. That's about, what? $2400 USD?

Here is the brochure link in PDF (12 megs or so):

http://www.xone.co.uk/downloads/Xone_3D_Mini.pdf

can't wait! Aparently it is USB 2.0 as well. Very good.

Beta testing is being finalized via roadtesting by select DJs and others. Final showing is NAMM, then it gets released.

:)

rob.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:53 pm

More info:
Xone:3D Specifications.

Width 432mm - 24"
Height 88mm - 3.5"
Depth 358mm - 14"
Weight 5Kg - 11 LB

These sizes DO NOT include rack ears.
rob.

TonySoprano

Post by TonySoprano » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:09 am

I need Kleenex.
Check out my latest mix:-
http://www.mixdepot.net/OutOfMySystem

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:35 am

More info:
The Xone:3D will be shipped with ASIO drivers for both Mac and PC and the latency is sub 10mS.
not bad latency. Not blazingly fast, but decent enough.

rob.

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:37 am

finally we have some news on this great product! Roll on NAMM.

ishimaru

Post by ishimaru » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:57 pm

For that price I would get the Lemur.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.365 ... /id.357/.f
Every situation(1) should be confronted with its opposite(2) to come to a better situation(3).

1 Thesis
2 Antithesis
3 Synthesis

- Hegel

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:33 pm

ishimaru wrote:For that price I would get the Lemur.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.365 ... /id.357/.f
not me, I like the tactile nature of the unit. At first I was really hot on the lemur, but then really took a deep look at what moves me when I perform. A touch screen is cool and might make a great add on to any set up for practically unlimited ways of effect tweaking and stuff, but the main interface has to be tactile for me. YMMV, of course. :)

rob.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:07 pm

well i'v sold my 62 and a digi 001 card i have

now i just need to move my digi 002r...

and i'm there
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:17 pm

i haven't paid much attention to the constant chatter about the 3d, but i checked out the site, and if the drivers are written well, i will have no choice but to get one....i wasnt aware of the routing on this thing, it pretty much has every feature request i have ever wanted, looking forward to hearing more

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:07 pm

rajcoont wrote:i haven't paid much attention to the constant chatter about the 3d, but i checked out the site, and if the drivers are written well, i will have no choice but to get one....i wasnt aware of the routing on this thing, it pretty much has every feature request i have ever wanted, looking forward to hearing more
Yep, the routing is what sold me too. At first, I was very critical of the unit because I thought the MIDI part and Audio routing from the computer was seperated from the DJ Mixer interface. I was WRONG. And then when I started thinking about the send and return function via the mixer through ableton and back, that was rad too. This thing looks amazing to me now.

rob.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:40 am

Frequently asked questions:

Q: 3D connects to a computer using USB1.1 why doesn't it use USB2.0?

A: "Universal Serial Bus" V1.1 (USB) is an external peripheral interface standard for data transmission. USB works at 12Mbps and provides up to 8 uncompressed audio channels and is therefore adequate for the requirements of the Xone:3D. It's also fully compatible to the new USB2 standard allowing faster access to external hard drives and CD burners. USB2 is only required if more than 8 channels of audio are required improves sample rates and the number of channels - if you don't need that you're better off using USB1.1

Q: What is ASIO?

A: ASIO means "Audio Stream Input Output" and is a Steinberg technology of hardware to audio application connection which bypasses Windows audio and MIDI drivers, greatly improving latency and CPU efficiency. It provides reliable sync and low latencies (Latency is the delay time due to audio processing inside the computer). XONE 3D will ship with a disc containing the custom ASIO drivers, which need to be installed on the computer. Basically 3D has a built in multi-channel soundcard which streams audio to and from the mixer to integrate with software applications such as Ableton Live, Virtaul DJ etc.

Q: Can 3D be used with Macintosh and windows PCs?

A: Yes

Q: What music software is included?

A: 3D will ship with ABLETON LITE LIVE5 Xone:3D Edition

Q: Can 3D be used as a custom MIDI control surface?

A: Yes the surface offers:

Mappable MIDI controls:

105 MIDI control messages available, 8 x 60mm linear faders, 16 x detented rotary pots

10 rotary encoders, 50 switches, 2 custom jog wheels with micro switches, 8 illuminated push switches, Multi-function jog wheels with switched navigation control. MIDI is communicated via the USB port so Xone:3D is compatible with any PC software that has MIDI assignable functions: for instance, lighting controller or visual effects programs - it also has 5-pin DIN MIDI OUT, & MIDI IN.

Q: Does the soundcard have digital inputs and outputs?

A: Yes. It has SPDIF and OPTICAL IN / OUT

Q: How does the BPM work?

A: Beats can be tapped into 3D using the illuminated TAP button. in addition, auto BPM circuitry reads and displays the Beats Per Minute of music playing thru the 3D by 'listening' to either the main mix or input sources via the pre-fade FX2 auxiliary controls on each channel, so it is possible for channels not present in the mix [fader off] to influence the BPM engine. There is also a 'pull / push' control to nudge sync'd loops in external devices to align with the BPM clock should the start point 'drift'.

Q: What sample speeds run in 3D?

A: Sample rate can be set to either 44.1kHz or 48kHz; 3D interfaces to any digital audio source up to 192kHz

Q: What is the latency in the soundcard?

A: Typically, a sub 10mS round trip is achievable for Windows TM systems and XmS for Macintosh based systems.

PLB

Post by PLB » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:06 am

how would it be to use this on something like an electribe?

pussErox

Post by pussErox » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:45 pm

not enough knobs on the ableton (black) parts of this mixer. Only good EQ control in the middle (silver) section. Which is only good for phono/line inputs (not midi assignable).

That Mackie C4 looks like the one to get. Whenever they prep it up for Ableton.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:00 am

pussErox wrote:not enough knobs on the ableton (black) parts of this mixer. Only good EQ control in the middle (silver) section. Which is only good for phono/line inputs (not midi assignable).

That Mackie C4 looks like the one to get. Whenever they prep it up for Ableton.
why would you need the mixer section to be MIDI assignable when it is meant for dedicated EQ? Almost all live/DJ sets are going to need some EQ, so this part is taken care of (thereby freeing up the other rotaries on the sides for other more interesting uses). The EQ in the center (silver section) ALSO applies to incoming audio from the computer, so your assertion above is wrong when you say it is only for Phono/Line inputs.

rob.

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:11 am

any NAMM news on this?