UC-33e: use faders for note input ? sliders for note input?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:21 am

Machinate wrote:hey forge, definitely use a scale plugin on this, that reduces errors quite a bit. And yeah, the uc-33 makes it pretty difficult to hit exact values. Doesn't matter much with a scale plugin, everything will sound good :wink:
you know I've never even looked at the scale plug-in - barely knew it was there - same with the chords one - one of those things where I saw the name and thought I didnt need it - I definitely need to be more experimental with some of these things

Cone

Post by Cone » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:40 pm

That is the kind of tip that should be in the Live 5 Power book - probably isn't, haven't read it yet. Anyway I tried this little step sequencing machine and the concept is pretty awesome. Just one problem, maybe somebody can help troubleshoot it:

When I record the sequence to MIDI on track 17, on the second time around (and thereafter) the first note of the sequence is cut short. The MIDI event for it is there, but it is just a little blip so it is not even heard. If I stretch it with the mouse it snaps to the current grid value and can be heard again. This happens on the first note of each sequence thereafter, but the very first one is fine. Really strange.

Actually it also happens when you launch the scene and let it play beyond one measure. I just recorded it as MIDI to check if there even was a note. Out of curiosity I exported it as a MIDI clip and loaded it into Cubase LE and had a look at it with the MIDI list editor. Sure enough, there is a note of length 0.0.0.1.

Can anyone verify this? The setup is exactly like Machinate described up to the knob assignments. All notes are C3, length 0.0.1.0, velocity 100.
MacBook (Late 2006), iMac 21.5" (Late 2009), Mac OS X 10.6.4 // Ableton Suite 8.2 // KORG microKONTROL & padKONTROL // Saffire PRO 24 DSP // ESI nEAR 05 monitors // Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs cans.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:56 pm

Machinate you never cease to amaze me.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:56 am

DeadlyKungFu: Thanks!!! I really should do a proper tutorial on this, huh?

Cone: I obviously don't know exactly what's going on with your system, but here's what I *think* is happening:

Sometimes notes get truncated like this if there are left-over note-offs left in the sequence. Try shortening the last 16th note by a smidgen (zoom in really close, with snap to grid turned off, and then shorten).

And if it WAS in the power book I'd be claiming a check... I'm not :-|

;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Cone

Post by Cone » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:03 pm

Oh, so you know Live inside out now? :) Well, you do, as I tried your tip and (of course) it worked. Shortening the note in the 16th clip by just a smidgeon did the trick. Thanks!!!

Actually I would say that it is a bug, as the note off effectively occurs before the scene repeat. A tiny little bug, but still.

And yes, you should do a proper inside-Live tutorial about this. Whatever happened to the monthly tips and tricks Ableton used to have on the site? This is perfect material for that kind of article.[/b]

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:37 pm

Duly noted, Cone. ;) I'll get right on it!

mosca

Post by mosca » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:00 pm

so where could one d/l that als?

mo

Cone

Post by Cone » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:12 pm

It's a five minute DIY job really. And if you have a different controller you will have to undo the MIDI assignments anyway. Try it, it was great fun :D I think Machinate just saved my weekend... I am in a Klaus Schulze like state now.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:11 pm

You can get the .als in this thread in the tips and tricks section from now on, set up all nice and stuff.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

:)

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:39 pm

It just occured to me that one could probably rebuild this inside of a live rack, no?
Im at work right now so I can't actually try it but it seams like it would have to work.
Anyone tried this out yet?
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion