Follow Action that trigger scene

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:33 pm

LOFA,
create a midi track
set it to send on IAC, channel 1
Go into the clip envelopes, select controller number 1
extend the clip to make it at least four bars long or whatever
draw a line at the bottom (value=0)
Make it jump to the top (value=127)

This will now send out the controller jumps via IAC, and you will be able to bring it in via IAC to control stuff in live.

Press play on the clip to start trasmitting midi.
Go into midi assign mode, select the clip you want to trigger or the effect you want to toggle. The jump you drew into the clip will now automatically assign itself. This can also be done using plain old midi notes, and since there are 128 midi controllers per midi channel, and 128 midi notes per midi channel you probably won't run out of controllers ever.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:19 pm

That sounds very easy. For some reason I thought this could be done with audio clips and it threw my equilibium off! Who knows, maybe it can.

Thank you! :D

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:32 pm

LOFA wrote:However, I am curious how follow actions can send midi commands through IAC? I have been doing this through KTdrumtrigger, but I cant figure out what element of follow actions can trigger scenes or send midi...
Put chords in your IAC MIDI track. By doing follow actions to those chords, you can effectively triggers MIDI-mapped clips from all over your set. I do a lot of my lighting and video this way.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:05 am

hambone1 wrote:
LOFA wrote:However, I am curious how follow actions can send midi commands through IAC? I have been doing this through KTdrumtrigger, but I cant figure out what element of follow actions can trigger scenes or send midi...
Put chords in your IAC MIDI track. By doing follow actions to those chords, you can effectively triggers MIDI-mapped clips from all over your set. I do a lot of my lighting and video this way.
When you say put follow actions on these cords I am not quite sure what you mean. Please bare with me:

Are you refering to assigning the individual midi commands representing the notes of the chord, and sending them back into live through the IAC to trigger scenes or clups, or are you suggesting that there is a method of representing or triggering chords in midi clips (ie: through automation clips or other?) that will trigger clips, scenes etc through IAC?

I appreciate your time and energy in advance. I am very intersted in how I can make midi sync other mediums as well. Particularly animation.

sonsofthehounds

Post by sonsofthehounds » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:54 pm

this is fcking dynamite....cheers to covert
macbook 2.16 ghz, live 6...studio with gear now gathering dust.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:47 am

Let's say you MIDI map on Channel 5 A2, A#2, and C3 to clips in three different tracks (MIDI or audio). They don't have to be in the same scene.

Now make a MIDI clip in your IAC track. Make this clip a chord containing A2, A#2, and C3. Set the MIDI output to Channel 5.

Now when you fire the single MIDI clip in the IAC track containing the chord, it fires the three MIDI clips mapped to the notes in that chord.

Any clearer?

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:58 am

Yes could you please make it clearer.

No, actually I get it, but I thought there was something else I might be missing because of the way it was worded beforehand. Cripes. Now I have to learn how to use control aid to this week before classes start up again. My plate is sooo full.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:49 am

There are other advantages to using the IAC technique.

You don't need to quantize and/or loop the clips that the IAC driver will fire. By quantizing and/or looping the IAC clip instead, there's a lot more flexibility.

The clips basically function as "ghost clips," so by changing the individual clips that get launched, all of the IAC clips that reference those clips are updated automatically with the new clips.

By doing follow actions on the IAC clips, you can make all kinds of follow action permutations and combinations that you couldn't do with individual clips or scenes.

You're only limited by your imagination! (Or in my case, limited by the few remaining functioning brain cells...)

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:07 am

hambone1 wrote:The clips basically function as "ghost clips," so by changing the individual clips that get launched, all of the IAC clips that reference those clips are updated automatically with the new clips.

By doing follow actions on the IAC clips, you can make all kinds of follow action permutations and combinations that you couldn't do with individual clips or scenes.
Edit... nevermind it's late but I get what you are saying. Cheers!

conny

Post by conny » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:18 am

Just to keep the library together, similar ideas have been on the table before:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ons+scenes
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ow+actions
No IAC but PC style with midi yoke.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/