MackieControl emulator for BCR2000!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Namihei

Post by Namihei » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:59 pm

dance wrote:Werid I rebooted and it worked - thanks! :)

...but now I'm getting an error message which says:

Code: Select all

TIMEOUT ERROR
WHILE SENDING:
$rev R1
This is when I'm trying too save.
What os do you use?
osx? xp?
Is the java and BCRs firmware the latest?
and you should use "U-1" mode when store it.
Anyway, it is certain that there are various problems in BCedit.

If BCedit does not work well,the preset file and SysEx apps is recommended to be used.

husker

Post by husker » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:08 am

dance wrote:Werid I rebooted and it worked - thanks! :)

...but now I'm getting an error message which says:

Code: Select all

TIMEOUT ERROR
WHILE SENDING:
$rev R1
This is when I'm trying too save.
this is the problem with the version of the Java Runtime Env. you have...

You need this version for BCREDIT to run properly...

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

cheers.

dance

Post by dance » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:34 am

Ahh what a well written java application. :P Thanks for your help guys, I will downgrade to JRE v1.4.2 and see what happens. :)

--

CEE | Creatine

dance

Post by dance » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:00 am

Thanks downgrading the JRE worked fine! :)

I have copied both presets (MC3LIVE & liveadd-on) too presets 17 & 18 respectively.

When I got into ableton and choose 17 or 18 my channel volume and master voulme works fine so obviously MIDI is set up OK. Maybe I'm missing something but how do I get the BCR to be set-up for each effect - is there something I need to do?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm quite new to MIDI programming.

Thanks. :)

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:57 pm

controlling effect paramitors is a little tricky....

select the track
then the "v-pot" selects the plugin you want to effect..
so if you have 4 plugs in a track button/knob 2 will select the second..
then the top knobs should start controlling that effect you selected (#2)
and the page buttons will bring up more paramitors if there are lots....

if you hit the flip button the volume controls will turn into effect controls and you will get led feedback for paramitor controls

Boulderdash

Post by Boulderdash » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:54 pm

I have the same problem with the timeout ("TIMEOUT ERROR WHILE SENDING $1" etc.). I just downgraded to the JRE-Version mentioned by Husker, it didn't help.

Although I used the sysex-version, I have to tap every button on the BCR twice, i.e. when I want to select a track and the button is not lit. Furthermore, huskerVu doesn't get updated very well, if I edit a plugin and change the page, the parameters still show the ones from the side before.

Any hints?

Thanks,
bd

Namihei

Post by Namihei » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:10 pm

Boulderdash wrote: Although I used the sysex-version, I have to tap every button on the BCR twice, i.e. when I want to select a track and the button is not lit.
Is Midi out correctly set?
Furthermore, huskerVu doesn't get updated very well, if I edit a plugin and change the page, the parameters still show the ones from the side before.
This is Live's own bug.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28109

Boulderdash

Post by Boulderdash » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:22 am

Is Midi out correctly set?
Yes. But I will figure it out. Yesterday it worked.
I think it the reason should be searched in MIDIYoke.

- When I use the recommended cofiguration and route the output from Live to MIDIYoke, to huskerVU and from there back into the BCR I get these failures.

- So I tried to avoid MIDIYoke: I routed the output of Live to an hardware MIDI-Out on the Multiface, looped it back in (short cable between MIDI-Out and -IN) and used this Multiface MIDI In as source in HuskerVU. It worked without a problem. Pageswitching and proper update of the display. The Input of the BCR was not connected. Maybe you can reproduce this?

bd

edit: yes, it is a MIDIYoke problem. I tried a solution with MIDI only and it worked perfect.

1) The BCR has to be in Mode S4.
2) You need an interface with three MIDI-Ports. Two IN and one OUT.
3) Connect the BCR MIDI-Out to one MIDI-IN and the MIDI-OUT to the BCR MIDI-In A and choose these ports in Live as Mackie Control In and Out ports respectively.
4) For the Display: Connect MIDI-Out B of the BCR to the second MIDI-IN of your interface and choose this interface in HuskerVU. The MCU Output will be routed through the BCR and back into your interface.

It works perfectly here, call back the ableton guys, they're software is perfect (as if we didn't know this already).

bd

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:35 am

WOW! this stuff, whilst i'm not yet sure it's exactly right for what i want to do, is freakin fantastic! a friend of mine lent me a bcr a couple of days ago as i was curious what it was like, and so far all i've done with it is try out this mce stuff and it's kind of a revelation!

namihei and husker, you guys have done something pretty amazing here!!
thanks to both of you for this.

i do have one question at the moment, how can i save the mce3.syx as a preset without the bcedit software? the link on namihei's site is broken (it seems dreampoint has vanished from the web). i intend to try out the other versions (which from what i've read let you save presets manually on the hardware) of the setup anyway, but so far thats the only one i've had a play with and i like it, so thought i'd ask...
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Namihei

Post by Namihei » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:50 am

link has gone.
I uploaded the backup files here

This is Japanese text page.
but you can see "BCR Store" file.
Download it and transmit a preset number file.

These files are not mine.
The file is erased at once if there is a problem in my act.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:13 am

that was one fast reply Namihei!! thanks for that. i'll be trying it out later, it seems like such an obvious (and clever) solution.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:04 am

Had a first actual rehearsal using this last night and i'm blown away! i took a chance seeing i hadn't done any prep time using mce and huskervu but within ten minutes i had it under control enough to get down to business! this setups incredible, so i felt i should say thanks one more time to both husker and namihei - love your work fellas!

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:53 am

This totally rocks and I am having much fun but I need to know how to accelerate the encoders!!! They are way too slow! Also I have to push the buttons twice sometimes. not sure what thats all about. This is an awesome thing though Congrats on this I suggest a Paypal donation box. All the money I saved getting the BCR I would be happy to give you guys a little something for your dedication.

Peace

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:28 am

nm I figured it out

I edited the resolution values in a Hex editor from 96 96 96 96 to 96 128 256 384 or something I used www.hexworkshop.com It went real quick cause it works like a word processor. Excellent!!!!

atomic

Post by atomic » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:27 am

illsub1 wrote:nm I figured it out

I edited the resolution values in a Hex editor from 96 96 96 96 to 96 128 256 384 or something I used www.hexworkshop.com It went real quick cause it works like a word processor. Excellent!!!!
Can you please give more detail. I just stared into a hex editor for about an hour and could not find "resolution" at all.
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...