select on launch via MIDI

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:30 pm

I've just spent a couple of weeks working with guitar and another guitar player, for the first time in years. We started messing around in live, using it as a looper in conjuction with bomes. I must admit, i've never really tried using live in this way before and it seems like the ideal tool for the job. I'm almost tempted to put Live3 back on my system just to see what it's like to be able to delete my misakes :wink:

Seriously, i don't understand the logic behind removing features that people have got used to using, I can't think of another app where this has happened. Imagine if Adobe suddenly decided to remove some features from Photoshop!

Select on launch should mean exactly that, to have this feature back (or work properly) just makes so much sense for loads of really good reasons. The fact that it no longer works has surely got to be some kind of bug, or cock up?

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:21 pm

Martyn wrote:I've just spent a couple of weeks working with guitar and another guitar player, for the first time in years. We started messing around in live, using it as a looper in conjuction with bomes. I must admit, i've never really tried using live in this way before and it seems like the ideal tool for the job. I'm almost tempted to put Live3 back on my system just to see what it's like to be able to delete my misakes :wink:

Seriously, i don't understand the logic behind removing features that people have got used to using, I can't think of another app where this has happened. Imagine if Adobe suddenly decided to remove some features from Photoshop!

Select on launch should mean exactly that, to have this feature back (or work properly) just makes so much sense for loads of really good reasons. The fact that it no longer works has surely got to be some kind of bug, or cock up?
word, Live 3 is the best and most full-featured live looper, hardware or software, hands-down, no competition. Why they removed a feature absolutely essential to looping in version 4 is crazy, to have had it back in some of the 5 betas and lose it again is heartbreaking and angering all at the same time. Some sort of response from Ableton is in order, especially with them touting kid beyond on their site, it's bullshit, kid's good, but nobodys perfect--I'll bet $10 he's gigging with version 3--someone feel free to prove me wrong and win $10.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

nyc_mark

Post by nyc_mark » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:09 am

Come in Monolake!! .... your attention is needed.... do you read? come back.....

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:37 am

Bump

Please fix this one, if it was working in one of the Live 5 betas it shouldn't be too far off working. No?

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:53 am

i have a lot of faith that it'll be here soon .
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

supster

Post by supster » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:09 am

quandry wrote: Why they removed a feature absolutely essential to looping in version 4 is crazy, to have had it back in some of the 5 betas and lose it again is heartbreaking and angering all at the same time. Some sort of response from Ableton is in order

obviously a lot of people feel the same, weve got a 4 page thread on it and by now they know how you feel im sure :)

seriously, if it was in all the betas there must have been some kind of problem with it working rock solid so they pulled it for now until they fix it.

but, the conservative software company measures twice before saying anything on a board because people will take off and run with whatever they say

if they dont have intentions of getting this back in ASAP i would be really really suprised.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

quandry

Post by quandry » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:53 am

word, but it would be good to have SOME sort of comment from Ableton on this topic, as all I can recall was some mention of "select on launch" in the 5 betas being an accident/oversight--I can't remember for sure. It would be great to simply hear "yeah we're working on it, we realize its importance, and it WILL be back at least by version 6 (hopefully later in 5)"--some sort of acknowledgement of the need for this featue back and a desire on their part to make it happen. As it stands, I have no idea if I should get my hopes up for ever moving beyond 3 for looping.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

nyc_mark

Post by nyc_mark » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:05 am

Ableton?

quandry

Post by quandry » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:54 pm

This one is just BIZARRE! I've been posting on a thread at harmony-central reviewing Live 5, relaying my Live 5 woes about the lack of "select on launch" in 4 and 5, and about how they took it away after bringing it back in the betas ( http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23799 ). Now all of a sudden, someone posts a screen shot of the prefs menu in 5 with "select on launch" as an option.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... d=13149258

I had already given up on 5, so I downloaded the demo on my wifes computer, and sure enough, "select on launch" is an option in the current 5.0.1 demo! Haven't had a chance to test it, but HELLO--can anyone confirm this and if it works like before??? very surprised that no one has mentioned that it is back 8O 8O 8O

Ryan

supster

Post by supster » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:23 pm

quandry wrote:can anyone confirm this and if it works like before??? very surprised that no one has mentioned that it is back 8O 8O 8O

Ryan
no, "select on launch" select the clip if you launch manually. its not the same as "midi select on launch", which is still broken.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

nyc_mark

Post by nyc_mark » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:23 pm

quandry wrote:This one is just BIZARRE! I've been posting on a thread at harmony-central reviewing Live 5, relaying my Live 5 woes about the lack of "select on launch" in 4 and 5, and about how they took it away after bringing it back in the betas ( http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23799 ). Now all of a sudden, someone posts a screen shot of the prefs menu in 5 with "select on launch" as an option.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... d=13149258

I had already given up on 5, so I downloaded the demo on my wifes computer, and sure enough, "select on launch" is an option in the current 5.0.1 demo! Haven't had a chance to test it, but HELLO--can anyone confirm this and if it works like before??? very surprised that no one has mentioned that it is back 8O 8O 8O

Ryan
Fortunately yes there is a switch in Pref's for "select on launch", unfortunately it only effects launches done by mouse clicks. :(
Ableton..... bug? or intended this way?

quandry

Post by quandry » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:42 pm

This is so stupid, they reinstate the same exact option in the prefs as in Live 3--"select on launch"---yet in 3 it applies to midi/key assignments and mouse clicks, and this same EXACT option in 5 only applies to mouse clicks. They should have first simply taken a poll, and realized that probably 90% of the people gigging with Live want their clips selected on launch, reguardless of how it was launched. Especially given the new clip transport midi controls, which are global and not clip-specific. What is the point of midi/key mappings for clips if they don't highlight the clip and you have to use the mouse anyway to select the clip and then use your midi transport controls to manipulate it. And lets not forget that many 3 users would not only trigger clips via midi, but you could also essentially "select" a clip already playing with your midi/key map controls, allowing you to bring and already-playing clip into focus without using the mouse. gone in 4 and 5.

We need select on launch via midi, it is silly that this needs to be pointed out, it is painfully obvious. Why a feature like this got removed is totally beyond me, it is sooo counterintuitive for a live performance program, they are essentially REQUIRING USE OF THE MOUSE to do anything at all with any clip--the only way to select the proper clip is with a mouse--I thought we were trying to move away from the mouse, I thought Monolake built the monodeck for exactly that reason, how does he now use 5 with the clip transport midi mappablity--he has to use the mouse like the rest of us to select clips, right??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ryan

supster

Post by supster » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:19 pm

quandry wrote:This is so stupid, they reinstate the same exact option in the prefs as in Live 3--"select on launch"...

you know what man?

you've made a lot of intelligent points on this board

but i can speak for myself that your ranting is now being ignored.

GUY: they know, ok? relax, give it a rest .... its all going to work out just fine i'm sure.
Last edited by supster on Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

supster

Post by supster » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:19 pm

dbl post
--

quandry

Post by quandry » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:40 am

supster wrote:
quandry wrote:This is so stupid, they reinstate the same exact option in the prefs as in Live 3--"select on launch"...

you know what man?

you've made a lot of intelligent points on this board

but i can speak for myself that your ranting is now being ignored.

GUY: they know, ok? relax, give it a rest .... its all going to work out just fine i'm sure.
I know I'm ranting and maybe being a bit of a tool, but I did at least get a response from Dave Hill Jr. at Ableton, which is all I ever wanted, a simple "yes,we reconize the problem and are working on it":

"I'm working on a post right now. We do realize this is a workaround but I promise it is not such a simple programming task as you may believe. In Live 4, we added MIDI and had to change many aspects of our routing and control. I think the larger share of our market benefitted, but you are right to suggest we put back the feature you love. Please know we are more determined than ever to make Live ultra controller friendly and the delay is I'm guessing a result of us not being able to do it in a way that our user expects from us. That is often the case.

thanks again for your effort and overzealous is appreciated. We are all obsessed with Live as you can see it is Saturday night and I'm in London. Instead of clubbing, I'm at an internet cafe answering the Anderton posse!

Live 5 on man!

best,
Dave"

AND THIS RESPONSE TOO:

"Yo Ryan,

Select on Launch: I am sorry for your frustration on this feature appearing to disappear. Craig is right that you can still activate Select On Launch, but I understand it doesn’t work with outside MIDI controllers. This is a confirmed bug that will be fixed sometime in the future. However, you can have hope once again! I caught up with Kid Beyond today and he says that doesn’t need that feature to do his looping (and is loving Live 5 by the way). He turns his MIDI commands into keystrokes by using a free application called MIDI Translator http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/. I understand there is a similar application for the Mac called Control Aid but someone please jump in if you know better. Thanks also for posting this item in detail here and for the ableton forum links. We are indeed aware of the mighty loop / looper community and we do value your input greatly. We want Live to be the perfect tool for Live looping and thank you for bringing this again to our attention!

Cheers,
Dave

Ableton AG
dave@ableton.com
www.ableton.com"

So there, a response. Guess I'm not being ignored!

Ryan